Metal/Hardcore mix

nickbb

Jul 28, 2010
So after lurking for a while I finally decided to register lol

Anyway I've been working on this mix for while and am looking for some advice and how you think I could improve it, or any other criticisms.
first:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9525696/Warzone.mp3

newer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9525696/Warzone 2.mp3

Guitar
ESP/LTD EC-1000 (EMG 81 pickup in bridge)
6505 into a 4x12 recto on left side
Single Recto into a 4x12 recto on right side
both recorded with sm57 into an M-Audio MobilePre interface
then compressed and eq'd a little bit

Bass
Ibanez 5 string (not sure which model) direct in to the same interface
compressed and eq'd

Drums
Addictive Drums

Everything done in Reaper

Thank you in advance guys.

Other than some timing issues, my only complaint is that it sounds like you either didn't put a limiter on the master chain, or you have it on a very low output.

I usually limit my stuff to about 0.3 to get the "loudness".

Yeah I didn't put a limiter on it. To be honest I don't really know a lot of what I'm doing lol. I'll try putting a limiter on.

edit: realized the compressor i had on the master bus lowered the volume a lot so i fixed that :Spin:

Welcome.

If I read your post right the drums are programmed, I would start by picking some better quality samples and using more than just one.

The drums sound very cloudy, and the overall balance is not there.

Your guitar tone is lacking in body, its too gritty sounding. Maybe a bit too much gain and not enough mids? Thats a great sounding guitar though, and all of your gear is great, you should have no problem getting a great sound from it.

The guitars are too loud as well.

I would keep working on it, and make sure that you are A/B'ng this to a mix that you really like along the way.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to a get a huge guitar/bass tone and I'm kinda having trouble with that.

Also I'm not really sure exactly what you mean by cloudy?

Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to a get a huge guitar/bass tone and I'm kinda having trouble with that.

Hahah, yeah man. I think thats a pretty common goal.

Somthing I always remind myself, less gain. more mids. don't over do the treble or presence.

Alright I think I just made some good improvements. Added some mids to the guitars, took away some highs, and lowered the volume of them a little bit. Also moved the mic on the bass drum closer to the front instead of the beater and turned it up a tad. Also raised the bass guitar a little bit.