Metal Magazines: How honest are they?

Jim LotFP said:
If the articles have no connection to the companies that advertise, those companies will stop advertising.

In some cases maybe but that's in no way an absolute. Plenty of magazines have ads slightly or completely unrelated to their articles but advertisers choose them because it's simply a popular magazine or they think the audience there will have a particular interest.

I still find out about bands from reading Terrorizer. I find out about plenty of bands on the web too. But Terrorizer does a nice job of uncovering a lot of the stranger stuff that I don't hear about anywhere else.

If you want to read a magazine that has crashed and burned and become a sell-out, check out Decibel Magazine. They had a ton of potential when they started, but they've REALLY gotten stuck on covering bands that everybody already knows about. In Flames is on the cover of their current issue, for example. I know Terrorizer puts popular bands on the cover quite often, but they also put bands like Sunn O))) and so on on the cover.

unhinged said:
then there was that whole 10/10 mithras thing with the totally over the top 'best thing in the world review'

Yeah, I'm actually quite proud to say that Royal Carnage got the insight on what happened behind all that. NAD did a great interview with the Mithras / Golden Lake productions guy.

General Zod said:
By the way, I would say that Metal magazine are especially dishonest... except when they write about Trivium. When they write about Trivium, you can take their word as scripture.:loco:

Zod

Haha, you read me like a book. And now the thread is complete. :tickled:

this thread -> 5 stars (great discussion)

unhinged said:
is that still online anywhere?

I could have sworn NAD posted it in the subforum but it's not coming up under any search for "Mithras". He's probably still got the intie, he can post it here. If not, I'll have to dig it up and post it. It's a good read.

General Zod said:
Consumer Reports doesn't have advertisements.

Zod

yeah, but they are always one model life cycle behind on pretty much everything they review

NADatar said:
You Read Metal Magazines, You're Fucking Dumb

Well okay, I pick up a Terrorizer about once a year. But most of that shit is teenybopper bullshit, Tiger Beat with more leather.

I'm with everyone else here, metal magazines, at least the ones with the biggest circulation and ad revenue, are not to be trusted...I second the opinion about the Internet making them largely irrelevant anyway.

dorian gray said:
when i got nick's northern shadows zine, it had ads for penis enlargers in the back.

Haha, gotta make a living, don't I?

I don't charge for advertising. I offer free half page adverts to heaps of labels, usually just in return for the promos I recieve, which are quite limited in numbers. All the printing costs (we are talking a xerox 'zine here, but it still costs about $3.50 per copy to produce) are all covered by myself and my staff (seems an odd term to use, but they write for me at least).

However, if a distro/label gives me a good deal, or sends me some great promos and maybe some bonus stuff, I'm always happy to help promote them by interviewing a band or two on their roster, or going a little easier on their releases in reviews. However, there's no money being exchanged, neither my opinions nor those of the other writers are being bought by anyone.

I like underground 'zines though, but that's just me. It's the tangible thing again - being able to hold it, own it, read it at will, front to back 'till the pages are worn. I like that feeling, as opposed to being glued to the screen (any more than I already am).

Décadent said:
I like underground 'zines though, but that's just me. It's the tangible thing again - being able to hold it, own it, read it at will, front to back 'till the pages are worn. I like that feeling, as opposed to being glued to the screen (any more than I already am).

Agreed agreed agreed.

Buy copies of Snakepit, METAL, Isten, Feast or Famine, and the Ultimate Steel Dissector!

And LotFP. :p

Internet web activities are for me a poor and necessary measure due to not being able to afford real printing.

Jim LotFP said:
Agreed agreed agreed.

Buy copies of Snakepit, METAL, Isten, Feast or Famine, and the Ultimate Steel Dissector!

And LotFP. :p

Internet web activities are for me a poor and necessary measure due to not being able to afford real printing.

I've heard about Isten, is it still around? My favourite 'zine is The Sinister Flame from Finland, though there's only one issue right now.

I'm interested in a copy of LotFP, care to trade?

Décadent said:
I've heard about Isten, is it still around?

The last issue they printed was in 1999, but it is still essential all-time reading. They have a new print issue in the works.

Décadent said:
My favourite 'zine is The Sinister Flame from Finland, though there's only one issue right now.

I'll look it up.

Décadent said:
I'm interested in a copy of LotFP, care to trade?

Sure thing, but my last issue came out in July and I've already uploaded it (the Scum thing in my sig). I'd be happy to send that and one of the older, lost-the-files-so-it's-not-on-the-web issues for a trade though.

Décadent said:
Deal. My last copy came out in October but it has content over a year old. Next issue will be out next month though (hopefully).

My addy is on my site. You'll have to mail me your address since it's not on your site that I found. :p

I'll send it off tomorrow.

And a new Isten just arrived in the mail today quite unexpectedly. w00t.

Right, I'll get on to that. Tomorrow is Saturday down here in kangaroo-land, so yours will have to wait 'till Monday.

Ellestin said:
Yeah I want to see a twenty-pages Goat Molestör coverage on Terrorizer!

They're called Grave Miasma now :(. Amazing band though.

I read metal magazines...usually about a month after pete scald buys them

but I enjoy classic rock mag more than terrorizer or zero tolerance

bigger features on old bands that I like rather than trying to sift through dozens of bands that generally fit over one of three common dedominators