Metal Mix (Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, etc) - Opinions Needed!

Hey guys,

I need some input, comments and feedback on this metal mix I just finished:

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
LT

Sounds brilliant man. Really got that "bullet" sound. My only comments would be the snare sticks out a bit. I don't know what your setup is but try putting waves API2500 on the master bus or SSLCOMP to tie that in a little. I'd add a little 5/6K to guitars too. If you go through a guitar bus, duplicate it and put a hipass up to 4.5k, and a lowpass to 8k and then just mix it in as required, that way you'll get the bright "zingy" sound without having to rebalance it.

Really awesome mix man

P.S what did you use for the guitars on this, I love the power they have and the clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds brilliant man. Really got that "bullet" sound. My only comments would be the snare sticks out a bit. I don't know what your setup is but try putting waves API2500 on the master bus or SSLCOMP to tie that in a little. I'd add a little 5/6K to guitars too. If you go through a guitar bus, duplicate it and put a hipass up to 4.5k, and a lowpass to 8k and then just mix it in as required, that way you'll get the bright "zingy" sound without having to rebalance it.

Really awesome mix man

Hi man!

Thank you very much for listening! Do you mean that you feel like the snare is too loud? I already have a SSL bus compressor on the master (hardware) with 2-3dB of gain reduction and I didn't want that mix to get pumpy and unclear. I usually use my hardware API 2500 for this type of music. I'll might try switching that on the master! Guitars are tad too dark you mean?

Thanks!
LT

really like it cool mix!!....but not diggin the poppy snare

Mix sounds really solid to me, i'm not a fan of this kind of snare too, but anyway good job! :)

Sounds good, but I agree the Paramore snare doesn't fit. Also there seem to be a lot of intonation issues with the guitars.

Thanks guys! Regarding the snare, I know metal band tends to prefer more "splatty" snare, thinner, less ring, less bottom but I guess that's just a matter of taste. By the way, the drums were Drummer Superior 2.0 and the snare was processed in parrallel with 2 Distressors.

Same here. I don't really like the ride and the snare.
The bass at 3"24 sounds strange.
The overall mix is great btw.

yeah sounds great
I don't like the thin ride sound and yeah the snare could be lowered a little bit

Thanks for your input!

Same here. I don't really like the ride and the snare.
The bass at 3"24 sounds strange.
The overall mix is great btw.

I guess my snare taste are little too "pop" for this type of music! Thanks for listening man! hehe :kickass:

+1

Still think you're gonna be of the big league mixers in no time! The stuff on your music-section is amazing! Cheers!

Thank you so much man! It means a lot to me! I'm still really new at mixing metal and I think that's the 2nd or 3rd project I post on this forum. I'm more oriented in the rock, pop, electro, folk music and usually post on Gearslutz because my projects really doesn't belong here. I mostly produced and mixed everything beside metal during the past years but I'm big metal fan and that's one of the style I enjoy the most mixing. It's definitely a good challenge to mix metal because there's SO many great mixers on this board and new technologies like amp sim, programmed drums give the possibility to almost anyone to get good result without the need to invest a shitload of money. Anyways, thanks for lsitening and for your comment bro!

Hi man!

Thank you very much for listening! Do you mean that you feel like the snare is too loud? I already have a SSL bus compressor on the master (hardware) with 2-3dB of gain reduction and I didn't want that mix to get pumpy and unclear. I usually use my hardware API 2500 for this type of music. I'll might try switching that on the master! Guitars are tad too dark you mean?

Thanks!
LT

You got it man yeah, try the hardware api, that'll be miles better than the plugin. And yeah just brighten the guitars up a little. I love the snare personally, I think it's all taste really.

the overall mix sounds great man. the snare grew on me. the only thing that seems weird to me is the perspective of ride...is it physically on the same side of the kit as the hihats? anyway, i've been following your work on gearslutz since the playdates stuff and i'm always impressed.

You got it man yeah, try the hardware api, that'll be miles better than the plugin. And yeah just brighten the guitars up a little. I love the snare personally, I think it's all taste really.

Thanks! Yep, I agree with the guitars. I'm going to post the final version today. I added a bit of top end to the master and the guitars sound fine now. Regarding the snare, I'm glad that you and many others like it. I wanted to have a different drum sound than what I usually hear in metal mixes. It's totally normal than some people will like it and some others won't. The client is really happy with the mix and that's what matters the most to me!

The ride almost sounds like a click track. Needs more sustain, way less attack.

Otherwise fantastic mix, I wouldn't change anything.

I totally agree, I don't like the ride either.. The band gave me consolidated WAV files for the drums and there's really nothing I can do about it at this point..

Can you share any info on your mastering process? There's something very natural and non-fatiguing on all of your mixes/masters.. Thanks!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate this type of comment! I guess I simply try not to crush my mixes louder than everyone else. I think that the volume knob on every system, iPod (etc) exists for one good reason ; you turn it up and suddently, the music is louder! It's like a magic button that lazy people from the new generation seems to have forgotten. I understand that "louder seems better" but I think there's a good compromise between being quieter than every commercial releases and "loud as hell, no clarity, no punch, no dynamic".

When you start compromising the potential of a song and the audio quality of music just to get it louder, I think something's wrong. By that, I mean having kick without any low-end, snare with only decay and no attack/punch, brick-wall song without any dynamic that makes it hard to tell if you're listening to the verses or the choruses, etc.

We're all aware of that loudness war and unfortunately, we have to be competetive in some way. People are listening to music in iPod headphones while walking down the street with all that noise. I get the point but still, I 'd rather be 2dB quieter and retain all the details I like about a song or a mix.

the overall mix sounds great man. the snare grew on me. the only thing that seems weird to me is the perspective of ride...is it physically on the same side of the kit as the hihats? anyway, i've been following your work on gearslutz since the playdates stuff and i'm always impressed.

Thank you very much man! Regarding the ride, it is panned on left and the hi-hat is on the right. The ride is really bugging me (and many others as I can tell) but I can't change it now.

By the way, I just finished producing and mixing 3 new songs for The Playdates that recently signed on a label. I'm gonna post it soon on GearSlutz!

It sounds absolutely ideal. Meaning that you can listen to every single instrument. it rules. as for the snare, i love this sound and its level is fine.
I am against "it doesnt fit" and all these. Break the rules. expand the audio engineering.
;)