Metal noob interested in power metal

Ganso88

New Metal Member
Jun 30, 2007
While I was riding with a friend of mine he put in one of Rhapsody's albums with Christopher Lee as the narrator. Well, that was a couple of months ago and I really like Rhapsody, pretty much everything they've done. I also have branched out a little bit into Blind Guardian (mainly Nightfall in Middle-Earth, but I was also intrigued by some of their other work. I was really surprised when I saw how many songs they have with just acoustic guitars) I also have a couple of Stratovarius albums that I like, Destiny, Chosen Ones, and Stratovarius.

So, yeah, being throughly unfamiliar with metal, I was wondering if anyone could point me to some similar bands/albums? I really like the intensity of the power metal genre. I workout and run a lot so I love listening to songs that get me pumped up while I do that. Lyrics aren't that important to me, as evidenced by my love of Rhapsody, but concept albums are cool.

I should add that I've heard death metal and not really liking it. I like music that I can pretend to sing along to in my head. Some of Rhapsody's music in unintelligible, but once I look up the lyrics I can figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Firewind sounds good for you. Their latest album, Allegiance, is quite awesome.

http://www.last.fm/music/Rhapsody/+similar
http://www.last.fm/music/Blind+Guardian/+similar
http://www.last.fm/music/Stratovarius/+similar

Best IMO: HammerFall, Primal Fear, Falconer, Symphony X, Nostradameus, Persuader, Evergrey, Nevermore

Definitely HammerFall, if you're into stuff like Rhapsody and Stratovarius. Primal Fear I think sounds more like Judas Priest wannabes. Still damn good, though.

Btw, isn't Nevermore just really gloomy prog metal? I don't recall them sounding anything like typical sword-and-sorcery power metal. :err:

*inserts token Blind Guardian recommendation*

Seriously, though, I would suggest you check them out. They transcend the usual stigma that power metal falls into. And they write very good and mostly non-clíche lyrics, unlike most power metal bands.

I have Nightfall in Middle-Earth, which I really like. What other albums of theirs would you recommend?

Thanks for all the advice I'll check them out in the next couple of days and let you guys know what I think.

Definitely check out Symphony X's new album- Paradise Lost. Also you'll probably like DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage.

I have Nightfall in Middle-Earth, which I really like. What other albums of theirs would you recommend?

Battalions of Fear, though it's a bit different to Nightfall, but just as memorable.

Also check out:

Jag Panzer - Any of their last 3 albums.
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free or Powerplant

I'm also a huge power metal fan, in fact power metal is my favorite genre in music as a whole. I suggest to you sir some Sonata Arctica (these guys are my favorite power metal band), Helloween, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Stratovarius, Falconer, Manowar (if you like their lyrics style you could turn into a big fan of these guys), Blind Guardian (already mentioned I know), Nocturnal Rites, Heavenly (check out their Virus album), and last but not least Kamelot. All of these bands are really good and have been pretty successful bands among us metalheads.

do yourself a favor and corpse out

Everybody here has different tastes of music. Even us metalheads has different tastes in music. For example I know someone who adores the band Megadeth, they are the only metal band he listens to, yet I can't stand them. I'm surprised you have yet to figure this out.

I will give you a list of 10 essential Power Metal albums (according to moi, of course). And I suppose there is no need to mention Rhapsody:

1) Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera.
2) Gamma Ray - Land of the Free.
3) Grave Digger - The Grave Digger.
4) Persuader - Evolution Purgatory.
5) Angra - Holy Land.
6) Symphony X - The Odyssey.
7) Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes.
8) Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder.
9) Kamelot - The Black Halo.
10) Edguy - Vain Glory Opera.

These are the really popular bands, and the best ones to start with. Although there are many more bands that I couldn't include in the top 10.