Metalcore from Stockholm, Sweden - Real drums, LeCto, lots of production!

Backe

Space Cowboy
Mar 7, 2010
Borlänge, Sweden
Hi guys! Mixed a song for some friends in Stockholm. He recorded everything, so I don't know much about the kit, mics and the room. All I heard was something about a Saffire Pro 40 and a Studio Projects B1. Toms and OH are 100% real, snare is 40% original, the rest is a mix of Slate Snare 10 & 3, kick is 30% original and I think most of y'all recognize which slate sample is blended in at 70%, haha.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/What's the Purpose_v2.mp3

Cheers!

Sounds good. Everything sounds nice and clear, except for the bass guitar. If I didn't barely "just" feel it underneath the rhythm guitars I wouldn't know it's there. No amount of focusing with my ears is helping my uncover what it's playing either.

Seems like mixing bass guitars isn't my cup of tea, haha. I got a good tone going, but it vanished in the mix. I'm afraid to push it too far on my RP5's since they only go down to 55hz. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I totally know where you are coming from. Bass is a bitch to get right, especially in a not-awesome room with amazing monitors and equipment. If necessary, try adding some distortion to your bass track, and don't be afraid to let the bass track start poking through in the attack range. It doesn't really need that much more "bass" per-say. Maybe a slight bump in the 400hz range - but just a tad.

yeah, i'd love a perfect room with some mid-fields. i already have tse B.O.D. on one of the bass tracks, perhaps I should push it some more then.
talked to the guy btw, he said the screams were too low in volume. should I tell him to get a pair of monitors or is he right? haha

really dig the song and the mix
but hes right, in some parts the vocals really are a bit low

btw do you use a subwoofer along with your RP5's?

guitars are a bit cloudy and the clean vocals sound a bit strained.
some parts reminded me of the devil wars prada, i like it though! :)

really dig the song and the mix
but hes right, in some parts the vocals really are a bit low

btw do you use a subwoofer along with your RP5's?

Thanks! nope, all I have for low-end reference is pair of crappy 20$ headphones

worked a bit more on it, cleaned some stuff up. overdid the mids on the bass though, mixed with a master EQ which I later got rid of, forgot to change it. really noticable in the clean parts, but I'll get on that that when I have the energy to open the program again, haha.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/What's the Purpose.mp3

better/worse?

Thanks! nope, all I have for low-end reference is pair of crappy 20$ headphones

Good to know, because I'm thinking of getting a pair of these too and don't want to spend another 300 € on the matched subwoofer!

I think the vocals could still come up a bit, except for the part, which comes at around 1:08.

I really dig the how the clean vocals sound, do you know, if the band used the stock preamps in the Saffire Pro?

This most recent one sounds really good dude. The only problem I'm hearing now is that the vocals are kinda quiet. Mainly the screams/growls. Whatever you did to the guitars definitely removed some of the "cloudiness" on them. But I would either turn the vocals up a tad, or cut a bit around 3.5k on the guitars to open up some space for them.

This most recent one sounds really good dude. The only problem I'm hearing now is that the vocals are kinda quiet. Mainly the screams/growls. Whatever you did to the guitars definitely removed some of the "cloudiness" on them. But I would either turn the vocals up a tad, or cut a bit around 3.5k on the guitars to open up some space for them.

yeah, dude. think most of the cloud was coming from the bass. I went hard on the guitars with multiband comp in the lowmid area, think that helped alot. but I was referencing TDWP, and the guitars didn't seem to have enough presence, so I did a more sturgis-ish approach, blended impulses until I achieved the "cali d plate" tone and cut like crazy round 4khz, and my previous highmid cut was at around 3khz, the main presence region for vocals. also scooped the overheads out alot around that region.

guitars feel a bit thin to me dude.

and the reverb on the vocals is a bit strange.