In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Metalium - Nothing to Undo-Chapter Six
Crash Music - CMU61193 - Feb. 20, 2007
by Amanda J. Carlson
Metalium.jpg

Few bands focus their entire discography on one lyrical concept, but that is exactly what Metalium has done. Each one of their six albums is a chapter in a story about a "Metalian" warrior in a fantastical world, with metal gods and goddesses, evil creatures, Greek mythology – all the things that make up a cheesy power metal tale. Metalium's style, though, isn't the super-fast, highly melodic stuff that usually goes hand in hand with said subject matter. Instead they stay on the straightforward path, showing more of their classic metal influences than anything.

Simplicity in riffs and song arrangements don’t make for many notable moments. Though the vocals and musicianship are tight, and the songs crushing, it's not much different from stuff you'd hear from Judas Priest and the like. The chorus of 'Mental Blindness' has a feel similar to Iced Earth’s The Glorious Burden, complete with Ripper Owens style singing. The beginning of 'Way Home' is very reminiscent of the classic Rhapsody ballads, very cheesy and depressing. They even pay tribute to one of their favorite bands, Queen, with 'Show Must Go On,' keeping the authentic Queen sound in their own version.

Nothing to Undo is a well done record, but it's nothing special. Metalium is not a band that is going to stand out as their predecessors did; they're just another band that writes good standard heavy metal. Though not quite good enough to make me want to listen to the first five chapters of their saga, I wouldn’t mind seeing them open for some bands on their planned North American tour this year.

Metalium Official Website
Crash Music Official Website

Ok... so short version: Heavy metal, sounds like those bands momentarily, nothing special...

Doesn't give too good of an idea of how they actually sound or the production on the CD.... What you said could basically be read on a press sheet, or for normal folks, an item description page at a webshop. There isn't too much in your review about the content of the actual album, not enough for me to decide whether to check it out or not. Artwork looks pretty cool, though.

what's with bands these days and extremely long concepts drawn out over a span of albums? Ayreon, Daath, Metalium...stop the madness!

Hey, Ayreon is pretty awesome! :p
The Human Equation is an incredibly creative album.

There's nothing wrong with a little bedtime story now and then.

The Human Equation is a phenomenal album, and the storyline (up until the last few seconds) it seemed had nothing to do with the rest of the Ayreon catalogue. I guess that's the good thing about music over books or movies...you can still enjoy a running story in music without knowledge of the previous material, whereas with books or movies, if you don't see/read the originals and go through it chronologically, you'll be lost.

and I was being slightly sarcastic (which I guess you picked up on)