Metallica´s The Unforgiven cover (AXE FX, Metal Foundry+Metal Machine, LTD K 500)

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi, guys.

I just uploaded a short cover of Metallica´s The Unforgiven. I used an AXE FX for guitars (LTD K 500) and bass, and a mix of Metal Foundry and Metal Machine for drums.

Sorry for my faces while singing :p

You have a mp3 DL link in the description.Hope you like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving the drums, they sound so awesome! I think you can get a better rhythm tone than that though and I also think you should try double tracking the vocals for that chorus-y feel.

Great work. It deserves an end ;)
Did you use any post treatments on drums or just blend both MM & MF and leave them dry (as if Metal Machine was dry, but you know what I mean ;) )
I think you should keep your voice saturated on the clean part ("What I felt ..."). IMO, it is way better when you sing like that.

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Plankis, glad you liked the drums, I´ll talk about them after answering you. The tone I used in the end wasn´t the first one I dialed. It was more trebly and had a little more gain, but maybe it sounded a bit muddier, so I ended up with this one. You are right about vocals, but I tried to keep it simple (acoustic+solo in the intro, two rythm guitars+the riff in the verse, and acoustic+solo in the intro for guitars, and the only time vocals are doubled are in the end, in "so I dub thee unforgiven). Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback, man.

Captainboom. I may try to record it completely, but with no video...at least some friends are demanding the solo! :D When you talk about the voice saturation, do you mean that I should sing the chorus part with a more raspy voice, as in the verse? If so, I did it that way to have a little dynamics in the perfomance.

As for the drums:

- I used a complete kit from Metal Foundry (used a Supraphonic snare) and kick, snare and toms from Metal Machine. I adjusted volumes to blend them in. With Metal Foundry I get more realism and fatness, and with Metal Machine I get more punch and a treble edge.

- I have different tracks for kick, snare, toms, charlie, overhead and ambient mic. I eq them the way I like and compress quite heavily kick, snare and toms. Also add reverb, Vintage Warmer and Sonic Maximizer. I send kick, snare, tom, charlie and overheads to a group track in Cubase and add extra compression and reverb.

- Also, I cut some frequencies in the overhead and ambient mics so there´s not a low saturation.

- This time, I added some extra volume and reverb to the ambient mic.

I thinks it´s basically all I did...Hope it helps, and thanks for your comments!

Thats some great shit you got going on! A few notes, the acoustic guitar dosent quiet fit the begining, maybe i would try some chrous, and a tad of verb. The drums sounds great, and your clean lead sound is spot on. As someone mentioned, in the verse, try to double it to get a bit of a fuller sound, you vocal sounds great in the chorus as it is. I would not hurt the distorted rythem sound to be a bit fuller.

Thanks for the comments and advices, mates!

ThatGuitarGuy, I´m glad you liked the drums sound too. I also feel a little about that. If you push the volume a little they doesn´t seem so disconnected, but I think I lowered too much the amount of reverb. Thanks for the tip.

NoCompromise, thanks, man! I added reverb to the guitar, but I think I should have eqd it different (and I recorded it only with an AT4040, but I usually put an extra mic, an AT4041 near the 12th fret, and this time didn´t...). Glad you liked the clean lead sound, man. I tweaked the AXE quite a while to get it. And for the distorted rythm, I think I should have used a little bit more gain...

Viralz, yeah!! It´s a K-500, the Cold (Kelly Hayes) signature. I felt in love with that guitar when they advertised it in the ESP/LTD catalogue, and got it like 8 year ago or more. Glad you noticed it, man.

Thanks for all your comments!

You've got a great voice too. There are some moments where some can notice that you're not a native speaker, but overall good rock vocals.

Thanks a lot, Dave! Glad you also liked the vocals.

I´m from Spain and studied English for quite a long time (though I stopped many years ago...). I try to speak and pronounce my best, but I sure have some flaws.

Thanks again!

Awesome job mate sounds amazing ,I also have the same guitar ,mine has the passive emg Hz4 pickups ,do the 81s really make a difference ?