Metallica by Kerrang

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
METALLICA's forthcoming effort, "St. Anger", is nothing short of "the finest thing [the band] have put their name to," according to the latest issue of Britain's Kerrang! magazine, which recently had an opportunity to preview a couple of the cuts set to appear on the CD. "The volume is intoxicating, the songs even more so," the report continues. "METALLICA haven't gone backwards, they have gone elsewhere, somewhere they haven't really gone before. Much of the speed is back — speed that recalls the days of 'Battery' and 'Dyers Eve'. But the format is remarkedly different. This isn't controlled aggression, much of it is uncontrolled violence. It's ironic that at a time when the band are so at peace with one another they should make an album that sounds like they're at war. As one track follows the another — there are only working titles like 'Monster' and 'Frantic' — the difference not only between what you expect but what has gone becomes clear. There's no space between the drums and the guitars, there are riffs everywhere, there is anger and confusion — 'Do not know the answer, I don't know what the question is' is one lyric - there is swearing and shouting and time changes and speed and fury. It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that 'St. Anger' is the finest thing METALLICA have put their name to. All the songs I'm assured, sound like this. There are no ballads. Instead there's an assault of speed and volume and anger and intensity. This is exactly the kind of thing that made a slogan such as 'Birth, school, METALLICA, death' an apposite and appropriate summation of everything this band could muster, both in themselves and their audience."

Ah, I copied from Opeth's board.

i heard the new nevermore album is being made right now. i am psyched for it because i found Dead Heart in a Dead World to be kind of a disappointment. It had some good songs on it but I thought it paled in comparison to Dreaming Neon Black.

I think I'm gonna be pissed if it's good, just because I've grown to despise the so much over the years, and it's gonna be so hard to like them again if the album RAWKS.

eitherway I wouldn't see them on that tour.

I would catch a tour with them and one opener maybe, if the tickets weren't insanly expensive.

azal said:
I think I'm gonna be pissed if it's good, just because I've grown to despise the so much over the years, and it's gonna be so hard to like them again if the album RAWKS.

i have had this same thought. but then again, metallica always says their latest doesnt suck. and it always does. this album will suck. bob rock sucks. "st anger" is a gay title. hetfields explanation of it was so intarticulate it was funny. "uh i thought it sounded cool." the fags at kerrang hold onto their jobs by writing glowing reviews of shit albums.

I have liked everything they've put out so far, so yes I will get the new album. but no way am I going to sit through full sets from those crappy bands for like $80 or whatever.

Frostgiant - Metallica is fucking awesome live, seriously. I don't give a fuck.

instead of releasing double cds of unoriginal material (as they did two years in a row a while back) metallica should prove themselves to be the coolest dudes in music and release another $10 album (whatever the fuck the exact price on the original garage days was, 9.98 or sumthin)

and yea, metallica was awesome the one time i saw them live (the "metal year" of lollapalooza)