Kerrang Magazine Praises The New Metallica!

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
Kerrang: METALLICA's 'St. Anger' Is Band's Finest Effort To Date

METALLICA's forthcoming effort, "St. Anger", is nothing short of "the finest thing [the band] have put their name to," according to the latest issue of Britain's Kerrang! magazine, which recently had an opportunity to preview a couple of the cuts set to appear on the CD. "The volume is intoxicating, the songs even more so," the report continues. "METALLICA haven't gone backwards, they have gone elsewhere, somewhere they haven't really gone before. Much of the speed is back — speed that recalls the days of 'Battery' and 'Dyers Eve'. But the format is remarkedly different. This isn't controlled aggression, much of it is uncontrolled violence. It's ironic that at a time when the band are so at peace with one another they should make an album that sounds like they're at war. As one track follows the another — there are only working titles like 'Monster' and 'Frantic' — the difference not only between what you expect but what has gone becomes clear. There's no space between the drums and the guitars, there are riffs everywhere, there is anger and confusion — 'Do not know the answer, I don't know what the question is' is one lyric - there is swearing and shouting and time changes and speed and fury. It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that 'St. Anger' is the finest thing METALLICA have put their name to. All the songs I'm assured, sound like this. There are no ballads. Instead there's an assault of speed and volume and anger and intensity. This is exactly the kind of thing that made a slogan such as 'Birth, school, METALLICA, death' an apposite and appropriate summation of everything this band could muster, both in themselves and their audience."

From Blabbermouth.Net

Does the Kerrang writer merely wish to give Metallica a pat on the back so he can get all the exclusive scoops and hang out with the band?- or are Metallica's promoters paying for this good review- like promoters do for other music and movie reviews?- either way, I refuse to believe the new album is any good with the statements the band has made recently, and the tour they set up.

Well I'm listenign to it right now.. so I'll let you all know soon. But one thign's for sure: it IS a harder style, and I dont' see much nu-metal in it at all... and solos seem to back as well (not wah wah).

PS Hetfield likes screaming now.

NP: Metallica - Was Chains of Pain, now it's Hunger

NEW EDIT: Sorry false alarm. Some other band apparently.

Hmm I just heard a stupid nu-metal (a Time to Hate) song from them... but the other two songs were good (Chains of Pain and Hunger)

NP: Metallica??? - Beast Within

This doesn't sound like Metallica... I wonder if it's mislabeled? But the other three were Metallica.

EDIT: Some other ppl should check this out... see which ones are actually Metallica... :) if any... :p But the first two I heard, Hunger and Chains of Pain, sounded like em.

NEW EDIT: Sorry false alarm. Some other band apparently.

Hunger and Chains of Pain are not Metallica songs. Those are by other bands and they've been floating around for years already. How people can still believe "Hunger" is an unreleased Metallica song is beyond me.

Hahahhaha my mistake then. I was searching for Wherever I May Roam, and a few songs came up that said they were from St Anger or St Anger Demo... and I listened to these two and the singer's voice made me think it was Metallica. Although I wondered about the screaming, since that was never what James was all about. :D

Sorry for getting anyones hopes up, it's probably gonna suck hard. :p

I highly doubt we'll hear the new Metallica album any time soon, we'll have to wait a little bit more until it's leaked.

Pyrus said:
Again, promising signs; again, I'll reserve judgment until I listen to it. Kerrang has SOME credibility, but I don't trust most reviewers. So, June 10th.

This was not a Kerrang review, just someone from Kerrang, who heard SOME of the new album, before it was mastered.

hunger is a song from the band eternal decision , a christian metal band!!!!!!!!!!, and yeah the next metallica cd is going to be a faster one , but the riff are nu metal, no thrash riff, and hetfiled scream like all those faggots in nu metal complining why their daddy raped them!!!!!!!!!!!!
so metallica new cd is going to be fast, power modern and fucking trendy!!!!!!!!!!! smells like slipknot!!!!!!!!!!!another band that was followed and now is a shiity follower of the new tendencies(Slayer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
................ hope i will wrong but all that i saw and listened in jump in the studio made me said this!!!!!!!!!! sorry :heh:

ThePhilosopher said:
Hunger and Chains of Pain are not Metallica songs. Those are by other bands and they've been floating around for years already. How people can still believe "Hunger" is an unreleased Metallica song is beyond me.
LOL

In an interview with Canadian radio station 97.7 HTZ Fm, Lars revealed two more working song titles, All Within My Hands and Dirty Window. Another interesting tidbit is that the band is leaning towards using their old friend Pushead for the album's artwork. The station is airing the interview in parts with the final two airing tomorrow and Friday at 6 and 9 PM EST. Listen in at 97.7 HTZ!

That leaves us with... St. Anger, Monster, Frantic, All Within My Hands, Dirty Window and Dead Kennedy Rolls...

Kerrang is pretty much a joke of a metal mag..so I'm not gonna get too excited over this. If the person who wrote it is admitting publically that they are affiliated with Kerrang I don't know how much credability they deserve...

P.S. I hope St. Anger leaks out all over the internet before it's released..because I know how much Lars loves that:Shedevil: