Metallica - Death Magnetic

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet. Well here's a thread for when the album lands. Seeing how the internet lit up when *shudder* St Anger dropped I expect this album to be highly anticipated and commented on.

Metallica_Death_Magnetic.jpg

Released September 12th through Warner Bros, their ninth studio album, track listing is:

1. "That Was Just Your Life"
2. "The End of the Line"
3. "Broken, Beat & Scarred"
4. "The Day That Never Comes"
5. "All Nightmare Long"
6. "Cyanide"
7. "The Unforgiven III"
8. "The Judas Kiss"
9. "Suicide & Redemption"
10. "My Apocalypse"

No title track? Hm. I can't say I'm holding my breath for this release. Metallica haven't made an album I liked since 1991. I hope they churn out some old fashioned thrash and balls to the wall solos instead of all this pretentious "this song is about tortured innocence" crap. Sometimes that statement making stuff works (see Iron Maiden, Megadeth) but sometimes you want more of what made you love the band in the first place.

Thoughts?

Still haven't decided on whether to get it or not yet

Considering I've got the entire back catalogue (won it back in 2003, just after st anger release in a totalrock comp) but sold the only 2 albums I've bought by them

I'm not a fan of Metallica aside from Ride the Lightning and a few other songs (the obvious MoP, Enter Sandman, One, Blackened, etc. that's about it), but that's a pretty cool album cover. Maybe I'll check the single out..

I'm gonna give this one a chance - i like what i hear from new song 'Cyanide'; it's like And Justice For All... mixed with the Black Album :kickass:. I hope it doesn't dissapoint as much as the album that must not be named (certainly not a saint in any respect)

My favourite Metallica stuff is most definitely the :worship: Cliff Burton :worship: era (still sadly missed RIP)

Surely anything more towards their thrash roots will be better than the past 17 years output!

Finally got round to listening to The Day That Never Comes. It's not a bad song but as far as metal is concerned it doesn't kick off until 5:02. Until that point it's all vocals based and James Hetfield doesn't sing like he used to.

I heard My Apocalypse the other day and I quite liked it. It's the first song with thrash elements in it since the 80s.

I'm really unsure about the production though. The guitars sound very compressed yet the sound is still very loose overall. Still, I won't make any judgements until I hear it on the album itself.

You can say all you want about production, but at least the drum sound on the day that never comes is better than any of the drums on st anger

Woah. Metallica have found their bollocks after all this time! This is genuinely, if not a return to their glory days, a great album. It's ballsy and metal. Most tracks have headbanging guaranteed :headbang:

This album is actually great!

Yes!!! certainly better then the past 17 years output :headbang: i've heard it in it's entirity and the fast riffs are back :kickass: oh yeah and there are some solos :lol:

to be honest i think many people will be expecting too much from this album, as it is it's a great metal album but it will never be Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets. Still i'm happy to say that it is a good Metallica album and that hasn't been said in a while.