Metallica - S&M - VHS

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Metallica - S&M - VHS
By Philip Whitehouse

Oh dear... it's all started going wrong, hasn't it? Many Metallica fans, myself amongst them, became very concerned when the news emerged that Metallica were going to be recording a live show with a full symphony orchestra for a new double-album, video and DVD... had Metallica's alternative-rock pretentions of late finally caught up with them?

Well, I was particularly relieved to discover that the result was less of a pretentious ego-trip of cacophonous sonic clash, but rather an entertaining and inventive re-visit of classic songs. So, after wearing the CD out, I went and purchased the video too.

While it's a worthy effort, the S&M video suffers compared to the likes of Cunning Stunts due to the necessarily more restrained performance of the members - I mean, if James and Kirk had been running around the Berkely Community Theatre in the same manner that they cavorted around Fort Worth, we would surely have been granted with the immortal sight of one of them tripping and becoming lodged in a tuba. Still, lack of amusing prat-falls notwithstanding, the video is still an entertaining one if only for the sheer spectacle of Kirk Hammett's mullet (matched only by conductor Michael Kamen's), and the amusing sight of Metallica fans in suits.

The direction is professional enough, capturing all the major aspects of the performance and also allowing us to admire the spectacular visuals generated by the video screen at the back of the hall. Out of the two videos I own though, I personally would rather watch Cunning Stunts than this one.

7/10

I really like this on DVD - a 2-disc set worth having, IMO, if only to see even more evidence of Lars being a pretentious prick on the documentary (and seeing Kirk trying to be all intellectual and failing when he mispronounces Baroque :lol: ).

My 2p :D

Metallica rules.................the video is not that great.........SO WHAT! They have given us a lot of really cool videos, this not being the greatest but i'd rather watch this than a bunch of metal posers like slipknot etc.

u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho
u hehehe (_*_) is psycho

just because it's different, there is no reason to start dissing them.
this video is fucking cool in my opinion, and fucking thumbs up to them,

nice one
dom

S&M is amazing. Sure the stage show might have lacked the energy of Cunning Stunts but it sure as hell didn’t lack any of the talent. I think we should give them applause for having the guts to get up there and try something new and don’t forget it worked! I couldn’t really see Linkin Park or Blink 182 pulling it off somehow.

~Michael Kamen, like John Williams was past his prime, (if he ever had one). In Metallica's ever eventful experimentation, this one was only halfway successful in that some songs are improved, (Nothing Else Matters, Call of Ktulu) while others are butchered (Master of Puppets, Battery). Perhaps with a more in-touch conductor such as Danny Elfman or Alan Sylvestri the results might not have been so catastrophic. Plus the inclusion of Load and Reload tracks neglecting Kill 'Em All completely should be taken into account. Metallica have nothing left to say, I don't understand why anyone's still listening.

S&M is an awesome moment for Metallica. The CDs are a must have for any Metallica fan, but the video can be a little boring.