Metallica Thorn Within Cover (SD2.0 TMF, LeCto)

hkollner

Oct 5, 2008
So the Load album have always been my favourite album musically and production wise.

I't started off by just wanting to get james's guitar tone because the Load tones are my favourite tones.

Then it turned into a cover mix :guh:

I need some help to get this sounding a little colser.

Problems I've picked up:
* the fizz in the guitar is the only thing that makes it sound different to the original I think? How do get rid of fizz without changing the character of the guitar sound?
* Drums are smaller? Damn.. How did Bob Rock get those drums so huge and in your face?

Any other problems?

*********UPDATED**********

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1794391/Heinrich - Thorn Within(MorePunchDrums).mp3

More punchy drums and less fizzy guitars.

Need help getting some punch into those toms.

Not bad, lacks the depth that we hear in load, and the drums of course are more punchy. It´s more randy staub than Bob rock. How he gets? Real drums, a isolated and properly place with good acustic sound. And of course, lots of knowledge and outboard gear!lol

Not bad, lacks the depth that we hear in load, and the drums of course are more punchy. It´s more randy staub than Bob rock. How he gets? Real drums, a isolated and properly place with good acustic sound. And of course, lots of knowledge and outboard gear!lol

If you say depth you mean a more scooped guitar tone or......?
What can I do to add more depth?

Yeah that load snare is differently voiced too it's so clear in the mix and is seperated extremely good.

The guitars are awesome I think! what was your setup?

The guitars are awesome I think! what was your setup?

Thanks man, It was Jackson > DI Box > Interface > TS808 > LeCto > Impulse

All tracks to a buss with slammed with a limiter and then 2 voxengo warmifiers set to smooth.

Wait 2 - 5 minutes. Im uploading a updated version with more punchy drums.
The mix sounds waaaay better now.

Also did some extra processing on the guitars removing all the fizz.

Here's the updated version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1794391/Heinrich - Thorn Within(MorePunchDrums).mp3

I can't get the toms more punchy??? any help?

Excellent job man, great to see people step outside of the usual, 'Metallica Cover Box'. Only criticism would be to work a bit more with the bass as to how it sits in the mix. To me it comes off as extremely wide and boomy...but if that's what you're going for then you got it.

Once again, excellent cover.

excellent song choice! There is something about the guitars that doesn't feel right....in terms of trying to match the Load sound. Something with the low-mids perhaps, and maybe a tad bit too much gain. Maybe try balacning the gain a bit more to eliminate some of the graininess? They sound good on their own...but not quite to the Load-esque sound. The hi-hat sounds a little thin to me as well, and maybe a bit too loud. Overall real good mix..but those would be my humble critiques

Sorry for the late replay guys, was away for new years.

I think the rhythm guitars are huge! What mode are you using on the Lecto?

I used the Red/Modern channel.
I also slammed a room reverb on the guitar bus. It makes the guitars sound much bigger than what they actually are. I you listen to the load ablum your realise how much room sound there are in every instrument. I think thats part of what makes that mix so amazing and huge sounding.

excellent song choice! There is something about the guitars that doesn't feel right....in terms of trying to match the Load sound. Something with the low-mids perhaps, and maybe a tad bit too much gain. Maybe try balacning the gain a bit more to eliminate some of the graininess? They sound good on their own...but not quite to the Load-esque sound. The hi-hat sounds a little thin to me as well, and maybe a bit too loud. Overall real good mix..but those would be my humble critiques

Thanks man! Too much or too less low mids? Yeah I've also noticed a tad too much gain will bring it down a bit though. I just worried that the guitars will lose the twang on mutes.

Excellent job man, great to see people step outside of the usual, 'Metallica Cover Box'. Only criticism would be to work a bit more with the bass as to how it sits in the mix. To me it comes off as extremely wide and boomy...but if that's what you're going for then you got it.

Once again, excellent cover.

Thanks man! It's fake bass :rolleyes: Don't have n bass guitar at the moment. but as soon as I get one im recording a bass track for this.

What impulse did you use for the guitars?

I made my own impulse using this tutorial. Some good stuff there

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/710368-yt-match-eq-ir-tutorial.html

How ever each guitar will sound different.