METALLICA Threatened With Copyright Infringement Lawsuit - Nov. 22, 2003

Will Bozarth

Everlasting Godstopper
Jan 26, 2002
New Jersey
www.facebook.com

Metallian.com is reporting that the members of the defunct punk/metal fusion band EXCEL are considering legal action against METALLICA over the latter's song "Enter Sandman" (Windows Media, Real Audio), which they claim borrows heavily from the EXCEL track "Tapping Into The Emotional Void" (Windows Media, Real Audio).

"Tapping Into The Emotional Void" was originally included on EXCEL's "The Joke's On You" LP, which surfaced in 1989 — two years prior to the release of METALLICA's self-titled CD.

"Enter Sandman" currently stands as the biggest hit of METALLICA's career, having peaked at No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart back in August 1991. METALLICA's self-titled "black album" has sold more than 13 million copies in the U.S., according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

hahahahaaha

What an idiotic lawsuit. The songs barely sound alike; it's some similar chords, nothing more, and God forbid one band happen upon a combination that sounds like another band. And if Excel's so pissed about this, why did they wait twelve years? Not to mention that the statute of limitations ran out in 1998. They're just trying to get some publicity.

haha, they are getting publicity though... and what i heard sounds alot better than Sandman, IMO. i may actually check them out further.

i admit that one of my band's riffs in our song "A Painting of Winter's Darkness" sounds like the chorus of Pull the Plug, but it's only slight

excel may be wrong on the matter seeing they waited so long, but it sure would be funny as hell if metallica got sued and got a taste of thier own medicine
"fight fire with fire" :lol:

just the other night I was telling somebody about the distinct differences between Northern and Southern Californians.

Pyrus, didn't you use "hella" the other day? if so...that proves my point

dead6skin6mask6 said:

Metallian.com is reporting that the members of the defunct punk/metal fusion band EXCEL are considering legal action against METALLICA over the latter's song "Enter Sandman" (Windows Media, Real Audio), which they claim borrows heavily from the EXCEL track "Tapping Into The Emotional Void" (Windows Media, Real Audio).

"Tapping Into The Emotional Void" was originally included on EXCEL's "The Joke's On You" LP, which surfaced in 1989 — two years prior to the release of METALLICA's self-titled CD.

"Enter Sandman" currently stands as the biggest hit of METALLICA's career, having peaked at No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart back in August 1991. METALLICA's self-titled "black album" has sold more than 13 million copies in the U.S., according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

hahahahaaha

Damn, I have never heard of a band called Excel...hmm but I know Metallica listened to some punk and hardcore back in da days...where do you think trash evolved from? Hardcore, thats right. Bands like Agnostic Front, The Cro-Mags etc