Metallica with Dave Lombardo and Joey Jordison

JimmyPL

Jan 23, 2004
According to METONTOUR :

Steffan (6/7/2004 1:17 AM)
"You're always around for the special ones!" laughs James Hetfield as I stand watching the band prepare for their Donington dambuster of a set behind the stage curtain moments before Battery.
For the last few hours James, Kirk and Rob had been busily jamming with Joey Jordison from Slipknot and Dave Lombardo from Slayer. Word filtered through that Lars suffered a medical emergency and frankly, I don't like to ask too many questions when the boys are preparing to deliver in unusual circumstances. The CD players were out, the guys were ripping through jams and the clock was ticking. Atlanta 2000 Sanitarium anybody? I mean, the comparisons are too crazy, too symmetrically perfect...so did we really, ever doubt that this Metallica show would be anything less than plain goddam cool? No. Why? Because when their backs are against the wall, they ALWAYS ALWAYS deliver.

In a sense, the thought of watching Dave Lombardo hammering Battery was something many have dreamt might happen in some crazy "rock swap" game, and as for Jordison, the man behind the mask, his command of the Metallicatalogue was rumored (and proven) to be second to none.

Before the guys went onstage their energy was high high high, and with the show having been delayed without announcement, James stepped out and filled in the crowd on what had been going on, informing them of the Lars situation and that the guys had some friends stepping up to fill in. Thus it was that Lombardo bashed out a brutal Battery, a crushing statement that this show was not going to do anything less than deliver. The uniqueness got even greater after Lombardo drilled out Horsemen, when Jordison appeared clad in his Slip-mask to deliver For Whom The Bell Tolls (adding his own unique twist and flavor) before tearing through Creeping Death and Seek and Destroy.

Then came my favorite moment... Flemming Larsen, Lars' tech for so many years, delivering a flawless Fade To Black, spotless, calm and with a family feeling to huge to capture... or was it watching James ask suddenly who was gonna do Nothing Else Matters behind the stage, moments before it went down, and seeing Joey, mask shining evil in the night-light, take a deep breath and step up to nail the waltzy percussion... or James beaming a grin back at Joey and chuckling "when do we get some masks?" Or was it just watching the guys step up themselves, continually delivering song after song and not losing a beat...or was it Rob making sure that all occupants of the stool were comfortable and on the count?

Look, I could go on and on (I know I know,hard to believe -!!), but time is running out here, the clean-up crew are creeping in and I'm losing time.
Listen.
This was not a fill-in.
These were not substitutes.
That was UNIQUE SHOW.
An EVENT.
And everyone stepped up.
Really.

This was family metal, the true way it should be, the proper Donington spirit, in many ways so much more than anyone could've expected.

There will be more news as it comes through, and ignore the rumors that will inevitably spring up until you read it here.Too many people out there wanna grab "scoops" and end up missing both the point and the facts altogether.

And right here, right now, the big story is that Metallica stepped up to support their missing brother (with the help of some friends) and that the night was yet another unique chapter of Metallihistory.

A final abiding memory?
Seeing the members of Slayer and Slipknot watching their respective drummers do the business and wearing big, fat, shit-eating grins.

A special night of metal?
Ohhhhh yes, I think so...

Steffan Chirazi
SW! Editor

Here`s some photos :

june604_14.jpg

june604_6.jpg

What do you think ??

I wonder if all the guys who offered to fill in for lars secretly made a pact to tell kirk and james that none of them knew how to play post black album material.

I would have given my left nut to see this show. :OMG:

Battery w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer
The Four Horsemen w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer
For Whom The Bell Tolls w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Creeping Death w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Seek And Destroy w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Fade To Black w/ Flemming (Lars' Drum Tech)
Wherever I May Roam w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Last Caress w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Sad But True w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Nothing Else Matters w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot
Enter Sandman w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

shame it was only 11 songs but battery and horsemen with lombardo :worship:

bands should do this and mix and match more often, it must get so boring playing with the same drummer for your whole career...

i wonder how much lombardo and joey got paid for filling in??????

I wish before i die i could see a 'back-in-the-day' Metallica concert, in a much smaller venue then they do now, have just a few thousands ppl, and old school songs from start to finish...i can still dream i guess...but i fucking wish.

Nordic_Warrior said:
I wish before i die i could see a 'back-in-the-day' Metallica concert, in a much smaller venue then they do now, have just a few thousands ppl, and old school songs from start to finish...i can still dream i guess...but i fucking wish.

doesn't everyone?... they're still good live now, but nothing like then, oh well.

I've never seen Metallica before, i was too young when they were actualy 'the shit' and metal ruled the fucking world.
And i don't feel like seeing them playing St-Anger songs and other crap since Bob Rock was involved, and be sitting in a seat or something like most places they play these days, unless you get them at a outdoor festival or whatever, which aint my luck...so...i'm just wishing for now....and i want old Kirk Hammett back too.

i saw them last year, they were good... and hammett was pretty much spot on, and they only really play like two songs from st. anger, then they play all the old shit..maybe not aswell as live shit etc but its good, by no means bad. :)