METALLICA's LARS ULRICH: My 15 Favorite Metal And Hard Rock Albums

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich will dedicate this weekend's episode of his Apple Music Beats 1 radio show "It's Electric" to his fifteen favorite heavy metal and hard rock records of all time. The list, which he initially prepared for Rolling Stone magazine, covers a wide spectrum of styles, from the Satanic lyricism of MERCYFUL FATE's "Melissa" to the politically charged rap-metal sounds of RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's "The Battle Of Los Angeles". "For each artist that's part of my ultimate metal or hard-rock albums, I went for what you would call the definitive moment in their catalogue," Ulrich told Rolling Stone. "And for a lot of these bands, they went through a kind of evolution, a kind of a growth and a lot of them have a lot of great records. So what I picked is a combination of what that album represents from the artist and what impact it had on me." Lars Ulrich's Top 15 metal and hard rock albums, presented in alphabetical order. * AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock" (1977) * ALICE IN CHAINS - "Dirt" (1992) * BLACK SABBATH - "Sabotage" (1975) * BLUE ÖYSTER CULT - "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees" (1975) * DEEP PURPLE - "Made in Japan" (1972) * DIAMOND HEAD - "Lightning To The Nations" (1980) * GUNS N' ROSES - "aPPETITE FOR dESTRUCTION" (1987) * IRON MAIDEN - "The Number Of The Beast" (1982) * JUDAS PRIEST - "Unleashed In The East" (1979) * MERCYFUL FATE - "Melissa" (1983) * MOTÖRHEAD - "Overkill" (1979) * RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE - "The Battle Of Los Angeles" (1999) * SYSTEM OF A DOWN - "Toxicity" (2001) * UFO - "Strangers In The Night" (1979) * WARRIOR SOUL - "The Space Age Playboys" (1994) You can read Ulrich's commentary on each of his fifteen picks at RollingStone.com. METALLICA's latest album, "Hardwired... To Self-Destruct", came out last November, eight years after "Death Magnetic". METALLICA is currently on a short break from its first North American tour in more than seven years, which resumes on July 5 in Orlando, Florida. This tour marks the first time that METALLICA has offered "enhanced" or "VIP" experiences for fans, with some willing to cough up as much as $2,500 for personal meetings, photos and autographs from the group.

Continue reading...