Metalmania - Katowice 24 March

Bollox

Miserable English Bastard
Apr 20, 2003
Milton Keynes, England
I'm flying in from England with the missus and 2 mates for this one - anyone else on here going? Should be a great day with some of the quality on offer - although I still cant work out how Blaze Bailey (5th on the bill) has managed to get the same amount of stage time as Testament - 1hr 15 mins...

Program Metalmania 2007

MAŁA SCENA (Second Stage)
9.15–9.45 Witchking
9.55–10.25 Sphere
10.35–11.05 Carnal
11.15–11.45 Ciryam
12.25-12.55 WU-HAE
13.25–13.50 Deivos
14.00–14.30 Horrorscope
14.45–15.15 TYR
15.30–16.05 Forever Will Burn
16.20–17.00 Root
17.15-17.55 Anata
18.15–19.05 Benediction

DUŻA SCENA (Main Stage)
10.15–10.45 Korpiklaani
10.55–11.25 Crystal Abyss
11.40–12.20 Darzamat
12.35–13.15 Zyklon
13.35–14.15 Jorn Lande
14.30–15.25 Vital Remains
15.40–16.20 Entombed
16.35–17.15 Destruction
17.35–18.50 Blaze Bailey
19.10–19.55 Sepultura
20.15–21.00 My Dying Bride
21.20–22.15 Paradise Lost
22.35–23.50 Testament

I'll be there. Should be a good day with some quality bands (Entombed, Destruction, Benediction, Sepultura, Horrorscope) and the kings of Thrash

It's my first message but why not to write :)

I will definitely be there with a couple of people from this forum whom I got to know on last years Metalmania :)

I guess Blaze Bailey got so much time because the Polish band TSA decided not to take part because they had some other plans... and maybe BB got also their time... but it's just a wild guess

Wow, DE- that would be ultra cool. I hope there will be some surprises in the setlist, although I'm not counting we'll get to hear a new song (it's too soon still, I'm afraid)

My Polish Legionaires and my Bay Arean Friends...............!
Have a blaST in Katowice today................!
Enjoy it to the fulleST.................!
And don`t talk about me behind my back too much..................!!!

Truly Yours,

GGBCYCO.jpg

PS. I wish I was there with you now out there in my HomeLand...

Thanks for the wishes, Tommy and for this great picture. I know you're sorry you can't be on MM, but you still get the best shows out o the Legionaires and even 3 packed MM's won't change that.
Take care there in SF!

Just woke up. The show was excellent. The band were the main headliner and were supposed to be the last group on the bill, but due to a 2-hour delay, they said they wanted to play earlier so that they can catch their plane. As a result, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride played after Testament and thanks to this half of the people present could leave the venue comparatively early.
The guys put their whole hearts into the music and the sound was great. The setlist was (I hope I didn't leave anything out):
The Preacher
The New Order
The Haunting
Electric Crown
Practice What You Preach
DNR
3 Days In Darkness
Trial By Fire
The Legacy
Into The Pit
Over The Wall
Alone in the Dark
Disciples Of The Watch

and that would be it.
Chuck was in top form- simply amazing- very clean and melodic at momnts, very high-pitched at other moments and very heavy and aggressive during the rest of the time. He shifted between the styles perfectly
Greg was great and was having a lot of fun- as always
Alex was simply crazy on the leads
Nick is a machine. I don't know if he fits the band all that well as sometimes the sound of his drums was a bit to overwhelming and the other guys' sound (especially Alex's) was drowning in the double bass. In some songs though he made a couple of amazing fills and creative changes (especially on the New Order). Some mistakes occured (especially in Over the Wall), but this man is an incredible drummer- a real monster with a great technique- I tell you that. I'm just not used to such dense drumming on the old songs. Don't get me wrong- he can keep the groove, but sometimes he adds to much. With him on the drums the new stuff will be heavy.
Eric was surprisingly hidden in the shadow and quiet. Very static and not interacting. Perhaps he was tired
He confirmed the new record would be released in the fall. I asked whether it's this fall or the next year's one and the answer was it's this one. The other guys weren't that bold when it comes to declarations concerning dates, so we'll see if they manage to have it released in the Autumn. Hopefully, because they sound absolutely great and this power and potential should be put on a record ASAP
If you get a chance to see them- don't miss it.
Cheers to everyone presend and a big thank you to the band and to our great Deadly Embrace for being good to us. Have fun on the American leg of the tour.

It`s hard to add snything to Wojtek review of Testament show. For me it was breathtaking all the guys in great shape, all of them amazing! I was impressed.

Testament FUCKING ROCKS and I hope many of people who was there for bands like MDB or Paradise was converted to Testament!

My highlights of the show - 3 days, trial by fire and Alone (HPOE you`ve missed it in the setlist).

As for the other shows, I`ve seen Entombed, Destruction, Sepultura.

Entombed - they didn`t conviced me - I don`t know what was the reason but I think this was mediocore show - nothing more to add
Destruciton - realy good one, they`ve sound was very good and so was the setlist. I realy enjoy it.

Sepultura - I must I was suprise in very very positive way, the setlist was killer and it was great feeling to hear such classics as Teritory, Dead Embryonic Cells etc. Derrick was good live, he was very energetic and besides that still he isn`t Max(and that his biggest minus) he sound great. So the rest of the band! Maybe it is why I didn`t expect much for this show - Big positive

I didn`t heard the rest of the bands (only some single songs) so I will not be review it.

High Preist - zapomniales o "Alone the Dark" na sam koniec !!! :)
bylo doskonale.Szkoda ze slabo znam angielski bo napisalbym swoje wrazenia.Pozdrawiam :)

Tak, wiem- zapomniałem o Alone, które było jednym z jaśniejszych punktów koncertu

(I forgot to enlist "Alone in the Dark" and thus I'm editing the previous post

Testament - fucking ace - almost as good as the Koko gig. Sound was simply amazing and Alex owned the stage...the guy was flawless as always!
Nick Barker fits Testament like a glove - as I said to Walter at the signing session - its great to have an Englishman and the "best of British" like Nick as the back line!
Also great to see Alex playing stuff like DNR finally - made it look like child's play!!!

The only downer was that it made it an impossible task for the two bands that followed cos Seps followed by Testament left the crowd completely drained and with both Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride playing a slower darker style of music the crowd were just too exhausted to show any real enthusiasm!

Only moan about the day was the shit organisation (main stage running nearly 3 hours late) and the fact someone let that twat Blaze Bailey play - I'm sure he overrun his alloted time of 75 mins? Oh and not getting out of the venue till nearly 4am!!!

Bollox, Bailey overrun his show by almost 45 minutes!!! It was said that he played for 2 long hours (I don't know becuase I didn't listen to him ;) I've waited with Polish Legions for Testament signing session)

Blaze was recording his f.... dvd :|

The rest of my review of Metalmania will follow soon :heh: