Metric Halo: Channel Strip.

Noumenon

Obsidian Productions
Jul 24, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
www.obsidianproductions.se
Am I dumb or something.
In the main (only window) for channel strip you can set the delay, but the least amount of delay is 16 and this gives me loads of headaches. What am I missing?

Using like 4 instances of channel strip at the same time gives me like a minute before playback starts in DP

Delay Section
The final processing block in the ChannelStrip is a user adjustable
delay. You can add up to 255 samples of delay to the output
of ChannelStrip. This is useful for dynamically slipping tracks,
doing acoustical time alignment or compensating for the delay of
other plug-ins in your mix. When the user-adjustable delay is set
to 0 samples, the delay through ChannelStrip is 16 samples.
When ChannelStrip is bypassed the total internal delay through
the processor is 16 samples.
Sounds like you just need to shift your audio tracks that have the plugin on it 16 samples back to compensate for the processing delay. However, I don't have the plugin, so I'm just making an educated guess here.

Noumenon said:
Yeah, haven't thought about that. The thing is though that the program itself won't start playback, it just sits there for about a minute.

According to the manual I should be able to have the delay at 0. Straange.
Well with Digital Performer, with the delay set at 0, there will still be a 16 sample delay. However, 16 samples at 44100 samples a second is a tiny fraction of a second, probably negligible. The delay you're describing sounds like a bug of some sort.

Noumenon said:
might be. a friend also said it could be that I'm using the internal soundcard. (haven't gotten around to getting a new card for my mac)
Oh yeah, that sounds like it's probably the problem. Basic consumer soundcards and big beefy recording programs don't work nicely together. I can't count how many times I've been asked something to the effect of "my recording/editing software is acting weird, but it can't be my soundcard because I have a Creative Audigy and that's like the best out there right?"

Just a thought.. that's a very long delay. Kinda sounds like it might be processing the whole thing before playing it.

Probably not the case, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

Noumenon said:
Yeah, but processing it for almost a minute??
It does some processing before playback to compensate for plugin delays, I think.
A minute would be about right for processing one entire track with a plugin or two on it.

Noumenon said:
Mkay... you might be right :p
Although, sitting on a dual core G5 with 3GB of ram it feels kinda funny.
You're running that rig with a stock soundcard?? I guess we know where the weak link is.

i dont recommend this or anything, but i had an old card that wouldnt fit in my g5 and i took a file to it and made an extra notch in it and it worked great! you have to be extremely bored and without reason to ever use the card again if it fails though to try and pull that one off. i got buy with that card for a while while i saved up for a new one though.