J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Metsatoll – Terast mis hangund me hinge 10218
Nailboard Records – Board 011 – November 11, 2005
By Wayward_Son

MetsatollTerasmis200x200.jpg

Our second stop in Estonia with Metsatoll brings us to their second full-length, which is actually the band’s first demo re-recorded to capture the songs at their most powerful. While demo re-recordings are not inherently a bad thing, they ultimately are irrelevant if the demo itself was uninteresting in the first place.

Which is partly the case with Metsatoll’s Terast mis hangund me hinge 10218. Reviewing releases like these are always the most difficult. It’s not mind blowing or revolutionary in any manner, nor is the album pathetic. It is just there. In other words, Metsatoll’s re-recorded demo is interesting music upon initial listen, but after a couple of times through the speakers, it just begins to annoy.

Again, the music is folk heavy metal. All vocals are done in a clear voice, sometimes chanted to go along with the Estonian sing-alongs. Traditional instruments are still present, but are not near as prevalent as they were on Hiiekoda. In other words, this album is more metal based than folk based. Therein lies the problem. If you read this writer’s review of Hiiekoda, you would have read that Metsatoll are better at playing folk music, not metal based folk music. With the folk elements all but gone on Terast mis hangund me hinge 10218, the album suffers from being generic and quite simply, mediocre.

If you, Faithful Reader, must hear Metsatoll, go with Hiiekoda to hear the band’s full potential. As for Terast mis hangund me hinge 10218, well, it could have remained a demo and no one would have lost sleep.

Official Metsatoll Website
Official Nailboard Records Website