Mezarkabul -- Unspoken

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Mezarkabul, a.k.a. Pentagram, isn't a new band. They changed their name to Mezarkabul when they changed record labels from Century Media to Sanctuary. There were already 2 other bands with the same name (one being the American doom metal act and one band from Chile) so the band decided to change their name to Mezarkabul to avoid confusion. They are still going under their original name Pentagram in Turkey though.

For those of you who've heard Anatolia, you probably know what to expect from Unspoken. It's the same line-up except that they are 4 members now. Demir Demirkan left the band a while back due to personal differences. Thus, the band adapted a new guitarist - Metin.

Unspoken is a heavier, meaner and darker album when compared with their masterpiece Anatolia which was more of a vocal-oriented album. Now with Unspoken the band has taken a step forward to their heavier and DARKER side of metal, still incorporating their Middle Eastern/Turkish musical elements. It is these things that make Mezarkabul one of the most original bands in the world. Listen to this band, and you'll hear something you've never heard before.

Their vocalist Murat has an exceptional range and he can hit the highest notes as well as do the lower register vocals easily...

If you're into bands like Savatage, Nevermore, some Iced Earth, [Morgana] Lefay, Brainstorm... etc you're definitely going to dig this one. No death vocals or stuff - so don't expect death growls from this CD.

All in all a great album. I picked this CD up in Sep 2001 when it was released and it's become one of my top 3 releases of 2001 along with Evergrey's In Search Of Truth and Savatage's Poets And Madmen.

This band also has an incredible live CD which was unfortunately released only here in Turkey and I recommend you check it out if you have the chance to. A live video of that CD was also released back in 1997. Highly recommended!...

Maybe the name doesn't ring any bells in your mind, but believe me, these guys exist for quite some time, some of them under then name Pentagram. This is their first album through Noise Records, and maybe will be their first big step towards international recognition. Besides what you might expect, the band comes from Turkey, but what makes them really interesting is the strange kind of music that they play. Their music is 100% Metal, imagine a mix of Classic Metal with very few Power elements here and there, performed in the good old way, sharp and edgy guitars, powerful rhythm section and a very talented singer that is the key point of the album. Those are the Metal influences since their music is also strongly influences by their Oriental origin, and these influences are obvious from the very first to the last minute, and are making their music even more interesting. They proved that if you have the inspiration, and the will to experiment, you can achieve many things, and these guys didn't afraid to experiment. The arrangements are very good, with very interesting themes and ideas, and the good production comes to complete the picture. Definitely they are heading for big things, so be prepared. 10/10

The Turkish band Mezarkabul has been around for quite some years. In the past they have been known as Pentagram, but they had to change their name because it's already used by the -famous in old-school doom circles- US band. Together with Orphaned Land (from which they differ by their use of power metal vocals instead of grunts and growls) it's one of the few metal bands I know which manage to introduce authentic oriental influences in their sound without losing the power and heaviness which is required in the metal genre. The occassional doomy riff, like f.i. in 'In Esir like an eagle' or in the stunning, heavy traditional outro 'For those who died alone', embellishes the tracks, adding a particular flavour which can be very tasty for doom fans. Also the fact that the pace of most tracks ranges from mid-tempo to slow, is another factor that should be taken in consideration by adorers of slow, genuine metal.

All in all, if you like traditional heavy metal and/or power metal but expect something more than your typical cheese factor which seems to be the trademark of the genre, you can be sure that Mezarkabul offers quality and a self-willed approach which makes them stand out from the grey masses.

You might know these guys from Turkey since they used to hang around under a different name, Pentagram, in the past. Those who know the band, understand their potential, and the album comes as no surprise at all. But those who have never heard of them, are in for a big and pleasant surprise. The album is simply put amazing. The mix influences from melodic metal, melodic death metal, Metallica of the black album era, plus some middle east melodies and grooves. The result is stunning. I loved the grooves, the riffs, the melodies and the exotic atmosphere that the keyboards create. The voice of the singer fits perfectly with their music and the vocal lines show a professionalism and a maturity, you wouldn't expect from such a young band. The production is almost perfect, adding to the atmosphere and providing a clear sound. Highly recommended no matter what kind of metal you like. Just give them a chance and they'll blow your mind away with their music.

I'd give them 9.5 out of 10. Killer band!

Even though the third and last album under their old monicker THE PENTAGRAM, titled "Anatolia", still is among my favourites, I could not make too much out of the announcement that a band named MEZARKABUL was about to release its debut. Now that I hold the album in my hands it becomes clear that it is not a new band, but just a new name, lending a pretty mystical touch to the whole endeavour.
Musically there haven't been many changes to the previous album, the Turks still deliver traditional Metal this side of the usual stereotypes and clichés, enriched with oriental melodies and instruments, which never are put to the foreground, but always are cleverly integrated into the songs. MEZARKABUL don't need to flirt with an exotic status, the class of the songs on "Unspoken" is far too great.
MEZARKABUL also never forget to give their compositions heavy guitars and highly interesting melodies and harmonies, which form a hard to be described whole, with the tradition of the Metal-elements and the folklore of their home-country as pillars of strength. That the quintet mostly uses rather slow-paced tempos don't detract much of their dynamics, quiet the contrary, they add to the atmosphere that makes up much of the appeal found on "Unspoken".

"Esir Like An Eagle", just like "Lions In A Cage" and the closing brilliant instrumental "For Those Who Died Alone" bear these oriental melodies in them, all three tracks are the absolute highlights of this album, together with the great title-track and the second instrumental "Mezarkabul". The clear production and the excellent voice of fronter Murat, who already had left his impression on "Anatolia" add their part to the whole thing.

Who has missed "Anatolia" should not pass by "Unspoken" in any way, because MEZARKABUL once more prove why they are Rock-superstars in their home-country. They can confidently say that they do not sound like anybody else, but that they are absolutely original, and if this goes along with compository class you can hardly make a band a bigger compliment, could you?

Label:
Noise

Playing time:
63:33

Tracklist:
We Come From Nowhere
In Esir Like An Eagle
Unspoken
Lions In A Cage
For The One Unchanging
Mezarkabul
Take My Time
Pain
Puratu
This Too Will Pass
For Those Who Died Alone

Mezarkabul is a name many will not know. However, many will know this band by their other name...Pentagram. Under this name the band has existed since 1987 and have released four albums. As Pentagram, you may recognize the band from their 1992 album TRAIL BLAZER (Nuclear Blast) and the 1997 album ANATOLIA (Century Media). The band hails from Istanbul, Turkey where they reportedly have faced some opposition from an anal Turkish media. Despite this, inside their home country the band is a huge success. This new album, UNSPOKEN, had 60,000 units sold very shortly after its September 2001 release! In Turkey they still go by the name Pentagram. For some reason, they only go by this new name, Mezarkabul, in the rest of the world!

Mezarkabul are a modern heavy metal band with progressive metal inklings whose main point of distinction is their addition of mid-eastern / Asian melodies. These melodies are still played on the traditional metal instruments - guitars, bass and drums. They use keyboards but not to overpower. The metal sounds of this band reminded me of a cross between Metallica's Black album, 90's Savatage, Paradise Lost's DRACONIAN TIMES and a touch of Queensryche all mixed into a blend which is made unique with the inclusion of melodies of Turkey. Some of their influences shine through on "Lions In A Cage" which has a Metallica-ish in a "Sad But True" kind of groove. The intro / main riff reminds me of The Tea Party's more eastern tinged stuff. (The Tea Party are actually one of the rock bands I actually like...shocked that I like a band that ain't metal? Muuhhaha). "Pain" has vocals in places that remind me of Zachary Stevens (ex-Savatage). "For The One Unchanging" has a heavier feel with a hint of some thrash metal. The riffs and solos in this one also use a lot of the harmonic minor styled playing. Reference points include Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" or Mercyful Fate's "Egypt" for the types of melodies employed.

If you like rich melodies that remain heavy and dark, Mezarkabul delivers on all fronts. Their distinctive sound is the thing that keeps this fresh and interesting. For more information, drop by the official website