Mic Cables

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
What would yall suggest for mic cables that aren't crazy expensive? Coz I'm getting a bunch of mics really soon for drums, and I don't want to spend $200+ just on cables. Preferably looking for snakes, but individual cables are fine too. Anywhere from 15-25 feet. I need around 8.

Amazon.com has some great deals on inexpensive mic cables.

You can also order a batch of custom cables from RedCo.com - a good 15 foot cable with Neutrik connectors will run maybe $14 or so there.

I'm really sorry for this, but I know NOTHING about cables.
But what exactly makes a difference in the tone/clarity of mic cables?

And I've been looking everywhere on Amazon and they are only selling retail prices

If you are good at soldering it's not hard at all, just time consuming. You have to cut and strip the wire, then you have to solder 3 small wires to 3 solder points, twice, one for each XLR end

nice ends are expensive though, neutrik connectors are ~$2/ea

The payoff depends on how cheap you can find the components, that link was a pretty good deal, so it may be better to just buy them.

Let's just break it down real quick to building your own cables vs the orange county speaker ones.. I've included building your own cables with canare for the sake of including a "premium" cable

bulk canare XLR cable ($.51/ft) plus 2 neutrik XLR ends = $16/ea

bulk orange county XLR ($.20/ft) plus 2 neutrik XLR ends = $9/ea

10 pack of orange county speaker 25ft cables already assembled = $7/ea

They can probably afford to sell them that cheap because they buy tons of the components at once