Mic Placement when tracking.

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
The other day I was jamming on my amp to warm my fingers up cause it was stupid cold. I was just walking around and enjoyed the different sounds I was getting just from we're I was stand. I found that standing less then two feet away from the cab sounded best. I though I wish I can capture this on track. So I though were my ears are in relation to the cab. I'm about 6'2 maybe 6'1 were my ears are. I'm thinking of trying to capture the sound my ears hear. So I'll try a few mics to see which work best. I know when tracking Drums some folks place Mics at ear lvl to the drummer to capture what he hears. Anyone ever tried this or read about this??

One of the benefits of close-mic'ing is that the room sound doesn't affect the guitar sound. If you have a nice sounding room then by all means mic it that way... however be aware of weird reflections of the room.

Im going to try it in two rooms, I got a booth that's dead, super dead. And I'll try it there then I'll use the live room. I couldent sleep at all last night cause I was thinking of it... I'm a nerd!