Mic pre test on guitars : Vintech, Purple Audio, Great River, API...

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
This might interest you guys : I did a shootout yesterday by reamping the same riff with different mic pres.

Amp is my 5150, and the cab a Bogner Uberkab miced on the upper right speaker, which is a V30. Mic is a 57. I used an OD-808 to tighten and smoothen the sound a bit.
The recording chain is : different mic pres, then Rosetta 800.

I had the same riffs played by two different guitars in my DAW : ESP Viper with EMG pickups, Gibson Les Paul Custom with original pickups. I only had one track of ESP, but two tracks of Les Paul (so that you can also hear it in stereo).
I kept the same amp settings when reamping the two guitars. Those may not be the best but it sounded quite good though, I began with Guitar Hack's amp settings and it instantly sounded good, just changed them a bit then.
Here are they :

5150 lead channel (out of 10)
Pre gain : 3
Bass : 6,5
Mids : 2,5
Highs : 5
Post gain : 2,5
Resonance : 8
Presence : 9

OD-808
Drive : 0
Tone : 12 o'clock
balance : 12 o'clock

I used four different mic pres, each time trying to get the more balanced sound and the approximate same level for each : Vintech X81 (rack), Purple Audio Biz (lunchbox), Great River (lunchbox), API 512c (lunchbox).

ESP VIPER
one 57 into Vintech X81, centered
one 57 into API 512c, centered
one 57 into Purple Audio Biz, centered
one 57 into Purple Audio Biz ("Dual" switch on), centered
one 57 into Great River, centered
one 57 into Great River ("impedance" switch on), centered

LES PAUL CUSTOM
one 57 into Vintech X81, centered
one 57 into API 512c, centered
one 57 into Purple Audio Biz, centered
one 57 into Purple Audio Biz ("Dual" switch on), centered
one 57 into Great River, centered
one 57 into Great River ("impedance" switch on), centered

LES PAUL CUSTOM
57 into Vintech X81, tracked once per side
57 into API 512c, tracked once per side
57 into Purple Audio Biz, tracked once per side
57 into Purple Audio Biz ("Dual" swtich on), tracked once per side
57 into Great River, tracked once per side
57 into Great River ("impedance" switch on), tracked once per side

I never had the PAD engaged on any mic pre.
On the Vintech I had the gain quite low, I felt it had a better clarity, better headroom and sounded a bit more scooped in the mids like that.
On the Purple Biz I had the input gain around 12 o'clock, output gain around 9 o'clock, sounded cleaner like that. I did not changed anything when I engaged the "Dual" mode (boost in the mids, I guess around 1k).
On the Great River I had the input gain around 11 o'clock, output was around 12 o'clock. When pushing the "Impedance" button, I just reduced a bit the output so that it does not clip the converters.

Do not hesitate to tell what you think. I think the mic is not in the perfect position but it is OK to hear how the mic pres do affect the sound.

The great river without the switch on sounds identical to the API...

What does that impedance switch do(besides from obviously raising the level)... Sounds a bit warmer....

It lowers the impedance of the preamp, making it closer to the really low impedance of a 57 (I think the input impedance of the GR is like 1.5 kOhms with it off and around 400 ohms with it on) - I know in guitar pots, the higher the impedance, the more high-end makes it through, so I can see how lowering the impedance of a mic preamp (assuming it follows the same principle) would make it sound warmer (can't listen now, I'm at work :))

Oh, and Sly, I was surprised to read that you say the "Dual" switch on the Biz boosts the mids, cuz I figured it would be like the 2:1 switch on the API A2D that just does something like double the signal coming in without increasing it going out (not exactly, but the point is it lets you get WAY more color out of the unit, as if you were cranking it, but without having the output level too high). So I looked on the Purple Audio website, and it turns out I was right. Just FYI! ;)

Yeah the 1k boost was just the "effect" it has on the sound from guessing, but I think it's not awlays like that. But that's right the sound is way more colored when the Dual mode is engaged (second input gain stage).
One thing appearing to be very important to me is the input gain level on mic pres : if you don't drive the pre too much, the sound will be clearer with tons of headroom ; increasing the input gain stage made it more midrangey and warm, but lot of headroom ate there. I always prefered when the pre was not cranked too much, sounded more scooped in a pleasant way, with clear high end, good balance, and breathing sound.

I really like the sound of the Great River with the Impedance switch on! Sound really bright, but clear. Has any ever tried out the FMR pres? I'd be interested to see what it sounds like up against a Great River or an API. Thanks a lot for the comparisons Sly.

Hey Sly, have you ever tried any of the A-designs modules? I've heard they can sound pretty bitchin' too...

I've had an A-Designs RED pre which I liked but it was not my favorite on guitars. However we have the Pacifica (racked version) in the studio and man, it rules !!! I love it everywhere, it's in the API vein with a bigger low end (tight as hell but more meat in the lows) and more open shining highs. Very modern sound, this is a pre everyone should try, it's simply HUGE.
Anyway, this test proves that API and Neve clones work very well : two totally different flavor (love the API with the Les Paul especially)

Thanks for the shootout. I think they all seem to be quite usable pres. In the end, most of the time it comes down to color, and even that is very slight considering the huge changes you make by moving the mic by a single inch. Once you get into the high-end it's pretty hard to go wrong. Also, I'm wondering whether the volume boost on the Great River is making people think it's better. I mean, no doubt it's a great pre, but I remember doing a shootout in a local studio and it absolutely got its arse kicked by a Buzz Audio pre when dealing with acoustic guitars. The Great River had these muddy low-mids and a closed top, whereas the Buzz was just like being in the room with the instrument (I was the one playing the acoustic).