Mic pre's too loud even at 0 gain...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I was tracking some drums yesterday and my snare track was DANGEROUSLY close to clipping with the gain on the pre set to zero... I ended up having all of the gain knobs across the whole board set to zero, kick, toms and snare, except for the overheads because they have a -10db pad that I had turned on...

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I'm using a Saffire Pro 26 i/o....

is there no pad on the saffire? otherwise try In-Line attenuators... it's not uncommon that every mic is padded on a drum session I do...

is there no pad on the saffire? otherwise try In-Line attenuators... it's not uncommon that every mic is padded on a drum session I do...

No unfortunately to my knowledge at least there is no pad on the preamps which I think is pretty fucking stupid... If I'm missing something and they are hidden somewhere in the options that I can't find, please somebody fill me in :lol:

As far as I know, the 2626 isn't available yet. I was on the phone with them Thursday.

Yeah they are supposed to start shipping first quarter of this year. I'm still gonna order one, even if I don't get it until the end of March. Between now and then, I'll only be home for a total of 3 weeks where I'd even be able to use it so I can live with the wait. Man I'm really bummed about the Saffire, what an absolutely horrid design flaw.

Yea my digi002 and behringer ada8000 both don't have pads on the mic pre's. None of my mic's have them either. I had to buy 2 pads or anuators or whatever those xlr things are you hook to the mic. There like 20.00 a pop but I'm really looking to upgrade to some adat mic pre's with pads like digimax lt or something.

That's why I love the Fireface 800. It's got a "lo gain" mode for really loud sources. 1 click & suddenly, everything drops into a safer region. Wonderful stuff.

That's why I love the Fireface 800. It's got a "lo gain" mode for really loud sources. 1 click & suddenly, everything drops into a safer region. Wonderful stuff.

There's one sucker for that on the Fireface 400 though. The Lo Gain mode is only available for inputs 5-8, which do not have DI. I'm having a small problem when recording DI guitars: the peaks sometimes hit the red on it, even with the pad enabled. But those clips only occur during the absolute loudest strums you can get with a guitar, ie. maybe once or twice per song in a usual DI recording session. But enough to really bug you.

Yea my digi002 and behringer ada8000 both don't have pads on the mic pre's. None of my mic's have them either. I had to buy 2 pads or anuators or whatever those xlr things are you hook to the mic. There like 20.00 a pop but I'm really looking to upgrade to some adat mic pre's with pads like digimax lt or something.

Ya i ran into the same problem w/ the behringer. you get what you pay for.

I was tracking some drums yesterday and my snare track was DANGEROUSLY close to clipping with the gain on the pre set to zero... I ended up having all of the gain knobs across the whole board set to zero, kick, toms and snare, except for the overheads because they have a -10db pad that I had turned on...

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I'm using a Saffire Pro 26 i/o....

I have the same problem on snares with my 002. Seems like it's just something some of us have to live with for a while. :)