Mic'ing technique

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hey guys I'm finally moving away from the world of the ampsim and mic'ing my 5150, I got a Harley Benton vintage with the v30's now I know this isn't
Ideal etc and in a perfect world I'd have a Mesa OS but being realistic I only do this for a hobby and couldn't justify spending that much on a cab...you try arguing with my wife :p

Anyway I've seen a couple of people stand there cabs
On there sides and mic up the upper most speaker. Is this something anyone would recommend?

The four speakers in a 4x12 will each have slight differences in sound, so you should listen to each of them and mic the best sounding one.

People might put a cab on its side for a couple reasons:

1. It's generally preferable to have the mic up and away from the floor to reduce the amount of floor reflections the mic picks up - if one of the lower speakers sounds best you can rotate the cab to get the speaker higher up off the floor.

2. Some people like to place their cabs directly on the floor (i.e. not on casters or a stand/riser) - this allows the cab to resonate with the floor and enhances the low end in the room. Many engineers (myself included) will advise against this because (depending on the room) it can make the low end boomy and hard to control.

The four speakers in a 4x12 will each have slight differences in sound, so you should listen to each of them and mic the best sounding one.

People might put a cab on its side for a couple reasons:

1. It's generally preferable to have the mic up and away from the floor to reduce the amount of floor reflections the mic picks up - if one of the lower speakers sounds best you can rotate the cab to get the speaker higher up off the floor.

2. Some people like to place their cabs directly on the floor (i.e. not on casters or a stand/riser) - this allows the cab to resonate with the floor and enhances the low end in the room. Many engineers (myself included) will advise against this because (depending on the room) it can make the low end boomy and hard to control.

It's only a two by twelve :)

Then that answers my question :) to be perfectly Hines what characteristics am I looking for for the better speaker. Obviously beside it sounding better :)

i bought a used harley benton cab, and i opened the back and i found a nice bag of sess.

thank you HB!!!!!

I've just bought one, not had the chance to try it out yet. The Thomann money back guarantee will run out before i try it so if it doesn't work... I'll use it as a coffee table. That's one affordable 2x12!