Mick Karn

Nothinggod

New Metal Member
Mar 10, 2004
Here is a topic that might get the hippy talking.. and anyone else that knows of/likes Mick Karn. What are your favorite Mick Karn records or collaborations?

Mine are 'The Tooth Mother' - Solo, 'Polytown' - with David Torn and Terry Bozzio, and 'Tin Drum' - Japan

I'm not too sure whether he played with Robert Fripp, actually. He did do some work with Bill Bruford though. David Sylvian, who was also in Japan, worked with Fripp quite a bit though. I think you especially would like a lot of his playing though, Nocturnals, very 'eastern' a lot of the time.

Ahh Dali's Car , Bestial Cluster. Actually I can't really think of a record with Mick Karn, I don't like. It's funny for someone who extols the virtues of knowing theory like I do, and given that I don't really agree with Mick Karn on his point of view that not knowing theory has made him a better player. I just think, how would he really know? But I know one thing, if I could play a single note and be unmistakably me the way that Mick Karn can, I would be pretty happy in that respect.

Mick Karn's website is http://www.mickkarn.net There are quite a few samples there. The Dysrhythmia stuff is interesting. They remind me a bit of Nomeansno and Firehose a bit in places. You can tell they are into Voivod too.

Mr. Karn has released several masterpieces, but I like this one:

"Dreams Of Reason Produce Monsters" (from 1987)

It's very laid back, but his fretless tone is killer.

Cheers,
Hakkikt

Now Playing: Magenta - 2006 Home

I watched the best of Japan DVD last night. It was pretty interesting to watch Mick Karn play live. He had some classic stage moves too. The interesting thing about Japan is that even thought they preceded Duran Duran and so on it was Mick Karn and to a large extent Richard Barbieri that made them really stand apart from most of the "new romantic" bands of the time.