Microphone for vocals and ac.guitar.

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
I need to record some normal vocals (not brutal or screaming) and some acoustic/classic guitars. So i was thinking to go with the sm 57. I don't want the best possible result, i just need a good cheap mic that can produce decent results... will the sm57 do?

I think a 57 will be fine. It's my first choice for acoustic guitars usually. It gives the guitar a little bit more weight than a SDC and I like that anyways. You can just stick a 57 right where the neck meets the body a few inches back and pull a great sound out of it maybe with only some boosted highs and filtering off some lows.

The 57 will also work great for vocals. I usually don't use it for them but I have with a few female vocalists and the tracks turned out great too.

I think a 57 would work great for your purposes and it's a great mic that's not even $100 which will yield good results and last you a very long time. Also, there are so many uses for a 57. If you end up getting more into recording then you will have a mic that you will probably find a use for on every project.

Thanks to everyone for your replies so far...

I think a 57 would work great for your purposes and it's a great mic that's not even $100 which will yield good results and last you a very long time. Also, there are so many uses for a 57. If you end up getting more into recording then you will have a mic that you will probably find a use for on every project.

That's what i was thinking. I know it can work good with vocals (nevermore) and I've managed to get a semi-decent sound from acoustic guitars with far worst microphones. However i have almost zero experience with microphones in general and i had to ask you guys before i did something stupid.
I understand that a condenser mic would be more suitable, especially for the acoustic guitars but the reason i'm leaning towards sm57 is because is cheaper and more versatile and it could still give good results. At least that's the impression i get from a little research i did on the net, can't be sure until i try both.

An sm57 is a great microphone and if you don't have one, you should get one (espiecally for snare and distorted guitar). But for clean vocals and acoustic guitar I'd definatly choose a condenser.

Exactly. A 57 will be useful forever....IMO you can't say the same thing for a $100 condenser.

Rode NT-1A, it's the first mic I recommend to any customer wanting to record acoustic guitar and vocals on a budget (which is about 75% of my mic sales).

I'd rather use an electro-acoustic direct than use an SM57 personally.

Rode NT-1A, it's the first mic I recommend to any customer wanting to record acoustic guitar and vocals on a budget (which is about 75% of my mic sales).

I'd rather use an electro-acoustic direct than use an SM57 personally.

Yeah, the SM57 doesn't capture an acoustic anywhere near as easily as a nice condensor would.

Yeh moonlapse, it's also cheaper than a 57. Good classic rock sound on a guitar cab as well :)

at this moment I´m recording an acustic band. I use 3 mics

rode nt2a for the room

sm57 behind the player over the arm to get the sound the player hears
and a e606 in front of the rythm hand.

Nice warm sound from 606.
It´s also interesting for vocals.

But I think the sm57 is the all round solution for what you need.

Someone in this forum records fantastic vocals with an 57

Yeh moonlapse, it's also cheaper than a 57. Good classic rock sound on a guitar cab as well :)

Are you sure about that? in one online store i checked (rockshop.de) the sm57 was cheaper than the B1.

Anyway, i'm still confused about which way to go. It seems to me than for vocals i won't have problems with either mic and that's my priority. But i do want to be able to record an acoustic guitar if i need to.

Hmm you're right, the B1 seems to have gone up slightly. I have a 57 and a B1 that both cost me £60, but the B1 is now about a tenner more. Still, I think it's great value. What people say about you getting a 57 though is true, you will ALWAYS find a use for one, but won't often be perfect. Still, since both together cost the same as an NT-1, why not get both :)