Microphone Suggestions

BurningSky

rxbandits.com
Jan 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
So I'm gonna try to make a real attempt with my band in the coming year and I want to save money by self-recording/producing. I was wondering if anyone that knows about the topic could suggest some quality microphones that won't completely drain my bank account. Mics can be rather expensive, and I don't need anything out of this world, just something to record well. I'll be recording stuff like drums, electric and acoustic guitar, and bass. No vocals, but I've used "vocal" mics in the past for acoustic guitar and they sounded really nice. I understand the basically terminology like condenser and dynamic, so you can explain whats good about the mic if you want. Any help is appreciated.

Well, the Shure SM57 for sure (pun intended ;) ). It is basically an industry standard for miking guitar cabs. Very reliable and can take a lot of banging around. And above all, very affordable. It's a dynamic. I'd go for a Sennheiser next...

Shure SM57 is indeed the straight-forward choice for recording bassamps, guitaramps, vocals and some drumstuff (snare, toms, etc.). For acoustics, you might want to look into some low end large diaphragm condensers microphones, or a stereo pair.

The 57 is more for instruments...while teh 58 is for vocals....I have teh 58...and its a rock solid investemnt....suusalyl retails for 99$.....u can porlyl find it abit cheaper if u look hard...but its prolly the best $100 I spent...im also a singer/guitarist.....so I use it all teh time...ive used condenser mics for gigs....and all too...adn teh Shure 58 does jsut as good a job.....its teh industry standard for live gigs...and also for recording.....best of luck...!!!...PEAC EOUT

Waz is right. I've also got an AKG Perception 200 condenser that's great for the price. I use that for vox and acoustics, and the SM58 that I have (57 would be better) for instruments. In a live situation, the SM58 I use for vox.

How many mics are you after? If you want to mic an entire kit it can get a bit costly. I can put up to 16 mics up if I'm dealing with a drumkit in the studio.

Your standard workhorse is the SM57, as mentioned. The Studio Projects B1 is a great cheap condenser to use on vox, acoustics, room mic etc. The Rode mics... well they're quite cheap here in Australia, but I don't know how they'd be wherever you are. The Rode NT5s make great overhead mics.

Thanks for the suggestions. SM57 is definitely the standard I've come across in my recording classes.

@moonlapse: I'm just looking to get a good drum sound out of a medium sized kit (bass, snare, 3 toms, hi-hat, 2 rides, 3 crashes, 2 splashes) and create a nice stereo image with everything else. But I'm not gonna be recording in a live setting, so I don't need too many mics to do it.

So how do you intend to mic the drums? Simply stereo mic'd? It can work, but it doesn't afford you much flexibilty in the mix.

Well I'm not shooting for the ideal situation of miking them all. I'll probably end up with a kick, snare, one mic over two of the toms, and two overheads. Depending on whether or not my job affords me to do more.

Is any one familiar with the JTS mics, specifically the NX series, I could read the info on the website till the cows come home but id rather the opinion of someone who's actually used them, are they any good?

Is any one familiar with the JTS mics, specifically the NX series, I could read the info on the website till the cows come home but id rather the opinion of someone who's actually used them, are they any good?

my lead guitarist has chenged my mics so many times.....and Im sure one of them was a JTS i beleive...!!!...honestly I could never tell teh diffence.....so far for me....tEH SHURE SM58 has been workin the best...ad with that pracice yo cant beat it man....if u need a vocal mic...get teh 58....for instruments...get teh 57....good luck...!!!!....PEAC EOUT

my lead guitarist has chenged my mics so many times.....and Im sure one of them was a JTS i beleive...!!!...honestly I could never tell teh diffence.....so far for me....tEH SHURE SM58 has been workin the best...ad with that pracice yo cant beat it man....if u need a vocal mic...get teh 58....for instruments...get teh 57....good luck...!!!!....PEAC EOUT

SHUT UP AND TYPE LIKE A FREAKING HUMAN BEING MOROAN

SHUT UP AND TYPE LIKE A FREAKING HUMAN BEING MOROAN
Quit being a nuisance by spamming up the threads about you not liking someone's spelling. I'm nearly positive that anyone with a brain can understand what he is saying, so leave him alone. He is contributing something to this thread while you are just being annoying. You've done this on several occasions.

In other words, STFU

metalhead416 posts read like a kindly accent and i'm Shure take longer than writing the other way oh by the way have a Shure PG 48 and only $99