Microphone suggestions

Impy

Impale/Exhale
Jan 21, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
www.sepiadreamer.tk
Hi guys, i'm planning on picking up some gear when i go to the states in october, i'll be getting a M-Audio Octane, a UAD-1 Studio pack and a bunch of mics.

So far i've decided on:

two Studio Projects B1
one Studio projects C3
one SM57, i need another one...
and an e609

I was thinking of maybe picking up another condenser, what would you recommend in the 0-400 usd pricerange? I'll primarily be using it for vocals and acoustic guitar, maybe some amp miking too if i feel like it...

Impy said:
Hi guys, i'm planning on picking up some gear when i go to the states in october, i'll be getting a M-Audio Octane, a UAD-1 Studio pack and a bunch of mics.

So far i've decided on:

two Studio Projects B1
one Studio projects C3
one SM57, i need another one...
and an e609

I was thinking of maybe picking up another condenser, what would you recommend in the 0-400 usd pricerange? I'll primarily be using it for vocals and acoustic guitar, maybe some amp miking too if i feel like it...

i have a rode nt1a and i think it sounds really good. they are like 200.00usd. also the audio technica 4040 is only like 300.00 and most people seem to like them. i would at least check out those two mics.

egan. said:
Another C3 would be nice if you don't have a pair LDC's yet. It wouldn't add to your variety, but it would allow for stereo micing.

Yeah i was thinking of buying another one of those, then i'd have two LDC pairs to choose from, the B1's and the C3's, but i have some cigar condensers back home so i already have some variety in the stereo miking situations, i was thinking of adding a LDC that's of a higher quality range than the C3, i know that's not all that easy to get below $400 since the SP mics kick ass. I don't want to go all out and pick up a 414 or something though, it's just too much cash. I've been considering the Oktava mics as well, they seem interesting and i've heard a lot of good things about em.

unsilpauly said:
i have a rode nt1a and i think it sounds really good. they are like 200.00usd. also the audio technica 4040 is only like 300.00 and most people seem to like them. i would at least check out those two mics.

Røde is another brand i've been thinking of, but i'm not sure it'd add that much as far as variety from the SP mics... At least not the lower priced ones.

Impy said:
Røde is another brand i've been thinking of, but i'm not sure it'd add that much as far as variety from the SP mics... At least not the lower priced ones.

they make good stuff and im sure its different from the studio projects. just check it out. the nt1a is one of the best ldc mics on the market under $400.00 for sure. it would be good for the mic closet. and the audio technica 4040 is definetley worth lookin at. i think most people are pretty impressed with them.
after you get the octane i would like to hear what you have to say about it.

I'm pretty sure i'll have nothing but good things to say, it'll be heaps better than what i'm using now, the two pre's on my motu 828mkII and a shitty shitty shitty samson mixer with shitty shitty shitty pre's.

Yeah i have heard really good stuff recorded with Røde mics, the NT2000 sounds really good on acoustic guitar, both nylon and steel string.
I haven't heard anything (that i know of) recorded with the audio technica though, i'll have to take a look at that one.

The Audio Technica's are really nice, especially the 4033 and 4040. The Rode NT1a that has been mentioned here sounds pretty good on a variety of sources, but unlike the Audio Technica's, I don't think it would add much variety to your mic collection with the SP's.

Genius Gone Insane said:
How much cheaper is gear in the USA? Is it the shitty US dollar value or what?

The shitty dollar value is great for us Brits!! A 5150 2nd hand costs about £500/600 ($1000) here and I could get one for around £200/250 ($400) in the US. The same is true for new gear aswell.

Genius Gone Insane said:
How much cheaper is gear in the USA? Is it the shitty US dollar value or what?

It's basically half the price compared to Sweden, it's a bit cheaper here in Australia too but even cheaper in the states. The dollar has become a lot more expensive for us during the last few months but it's still really cheap, especially at places like SamAsh

Dude, Rode is an Aussie brand made in Melbourne as far as i know, just get a shit load of them for a good price (since theres no overseas shipment and tax as with o/s brands sold in Oz)..........just food for thought, i know thats where im going with my mic choices.

Daniel\m/

Razorjack said:
The shitty dollar value is great for us Brits!! A 5150 2nd hand costs about £500/600 ($1000) here and I could get one for around £200/250 ($400) in the US. The same is true for new gear aswell.

Hell yes, let me let you guys in on a little secret.

If you buy stuff off earache.com with paypal, it charges you in dollars. Savings of 2-3 quid per cd. nice. :cool:

To be picky it's a swedish brand that emigrated to australia ;) Anyways, they're not all that cheap here, and not as cheap as the Studio Projects mics, that i prefer.

I've been looking at the AUdio Technica 4040, you can get em for 299 at SamAsh, sounds good to me, now i just gotta check around to get some feedback on em...