Mics that everyone should have...

Andy Sneap said:

I've used just about every professional studio mic that's out there - except this one. It's strange how our paths just haven't crossed, seeing as they are fairly common. I think that I saw one in some place's locker once, but didn't think about trying it out. I'll take your word for it, though!

metalkingdom said:
I've used just about every professional studio mic that's out there - except this one. It's strange how our paths just haven't crossed, seeing as they are fairly common. I think that I saw one in some place's locker once, but didn't think about trying it out. I'll take your word for it, though!

I blame this forum for raising the prices of i5's and SM7's on eBay. :mad:

:p

Mics I can't live without are as follows:

57s-for everything
421s-toms,guitars,sometimes kicks
121s-overheads,ride,hat,guitars
4038s-the best room mics ever (or so I just decided), and try it as a kick out mic...be careful though...
SM7-great for heavy vocals,and even worked pretty well on a guitar amp once.
d112-kick
OLD 414s-sound a little better to me, and they don't have those ridiculous shockmounts that make it impossible to get it near the amp.-guitar,overheads,rooms

C_F_H_13 said:
OLD 414s-sound a little better to me, and they don't have those ridiculous shockmounts that make it impossible to get it near the amp.-guitar,overheads,rooms

You can always take the 414's out of the shockmount - just a thought.

As far as pro studios go, these are what immediately come to mind(I won't go into quantities, just models):

SM57
SM7
MD421
RE20
U87 (definitely one of the older models; the new ones sound like :zombie: to me)
ATM25
U67
U47 FET
D112(or even better, the D12)
MD441
KM84
C12 (although the old ones may be bright, they can and often do sound AMAZING on vocals and overheads)
M88
M160

I know I missed a few big ones, but I can't think of them right now, so whatevs.

The 121 is awesome IMO(tho Andy doesn't seem to be a huge fan), but I don't think of it as a "studio essential," just a plus. As far as the U47 FET vs. tube, I actually prefer the FET. The several FET's I've tracked with have consistently sounded more open and had tighter low ends than the tube versions I've used.