Mics that everyone should have...

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I figured I would make this thread to see what you guys thought should be a MUST in any studio...Home, professional, etc. I have searched around, and there seem to be conflicting views on a lot, which is good since everyone has their own opinion. I'm mainly talking about mics that everyone likes, where you can't go wrong.

I mainly mic guitar cabs. Right now I only have 1 SM57, but want more. Which would you reccomend as a must have?? I'm thinking I need some type of condensor mic, maybe one from Studio Projects. I figure two good mics for the guitar cab, then I'll get a vocal mic. (no idea for this one, suggestions welcome).

Anyway, back to the thread, what mics can't any studio be without???

-Joe

U87x2, C414x2, C451x4, SM57x6, MD421x4, MD441x3, D12x1, D112x2, RE20x1, U47 (no fet)x1, KM84x2, C12x2, M88x6, M160x2, 4038x2, R121x2... Classic suff. Now give them to me:loco:

~BURNY~ said:
U87x2, C414x2, C451x4, SM57x6, MD421x4, MD441x3, D12x1, D112x2, RE20x1, U47 (no fet)x1, KM84x2, C12x2, M88x6, M160x2, 4038x2, R121x2... Classic suff. Now give them to me:loco:

What's wrong with the FET 47? They sound great on bass, among other things. Have you even touched a tube 47? There are way more FET 47's out there than the tube ones. Which C12 are you referring to? Old C12's are really, really expensive - and way too bright.

There's really no such thing as "one must have mic".

metalkingdom said:
What's wrong with the FET 47? They sound great on bass, among other things. Have you even touched a tube 47? There are way more FET 47's out there than the tube ones. Which C12 are you referring to? Old C12's are really, really expensive - and way too bright.

Clients!:p (nibnob syndrome)
Oh and by the way, of course I am refering to the older more expensive C12. J.DavisNJ was asking for microphone to record a cab, probably at home.:)
Ok, that wasn't very funny. ;)

unbranded-inflatable-microphone-76c.jpg

metalkingdom said:

The FET 47 really is an amazing mic. I love it for many things, particularly on kick drums. I would buy one (or 2) anytime, of I had the money.

I wouldn't be so sure about buying a Valve 47, as they use VF14 valves that are VERY rare and if you find one, they will be very expensive.

For the same reason I would be scared of throwing a lot of money on a Pultec or a Fairchild. Although I think you can replace the valves, if the transformer goes, chances are that you wasted a LOT of cash.

But anyway, I'd by happy with a a couple of Royer R121, few 57's, few md421, a couple os SM7's, 2 U47's and a nice vocal mic.

Gomez said:
The FET 47 really is an amazing mic. I love it for many things, particularly on kick drums.

For the same reason I would be scared of throwing a lot of money on a Pultec or a Fairchild. Although I think you can replace the valves, if the transformer goes, chances are that you wasted a LOT of cash.

But anyway, I'd by happy with a a couple of Royer R121, few 57's, few md421, a couple os SM7's, 2 U47's and a nice vocal mic.

I once saw an ad that had Kiss and Toby Wright on it, and there was a 47 a couple of feet in front of the kick in the picture. Needless to say, I just had to start doing the same thing. That went on for about a year.

You could always get the solid-state Pultec, but of course it doesn't kick the same ass as the purple ones. :Smug:

Nice vocal mic? The be all end all, at least for me, is a tube 67, with the Sony C800 being a close second. The Sony tends to make vocalists sing with a little more inspiration since it looks all cool and shit. I knew this female engineer that had a modified tube 87 that was pretty fuckin' awesome, too. You ever try the Blue Kiwi? That's another really nice sounding mic for vox. It's actually the only Blue mic that I really dig. The Blue Bottle is kinda cool, but only two of the six capsules actually sound good.

J.DavisNJ said:
I figured I would make this thread to see what you guys thought should be a MUST in any studio...Home, professional, etc. I have searched around, and there seem to be conflicting views on a lot, which is good since everyone has their own opinion. I'm mainly talking about mics that everyone likes, where you can't go wrong.

I mainly mic guitar cabs. Right now I only have 1 SM57, but want more. Which would you reccomend as a must have?? I'm thinking I need some type of condensor mic, maybe one from Studio Projects. I figure two good mics for the guitar cab, then I'll get a vocal mic. (no idea for this one, suggestions welcome).

-Joe

If your broke and on a budget like me........

(1) - Sm57
(4) - CAD Tom mics
(1) - CAD Kick Mic ......cause I blend samles w/ drumagog
(1) - i5
(2) - MXL 909
(2) - JM27 Overheads
(1) - Sennheiser Dynamic Vocal Mic

this combined with my Firepod, AA1.5, a few cables, and a few plugins.....you got my shade over $2,000 studio setup!:headbang:

J.DavisNJ said:

-Joe

Don't sweat the makes/models as much as the types and the applications thereof, and prioritize according to need.

In general, I would recommend something like this for starters...

Some 57's for guitar, snare, toms, vox, etc. 58's can be good on floor toms and vox.

A good kick mic. (Audix D6!)

A decent pair of SDC's for overheads, acoustic guitars, etc.

A decent LDC for vox, room mic, bass cab, etc.

FWIW, here are a couple favorites from my personal low budget collection:

Audix D6, Oktava MC012 x2, Nady RSM-2, MXL V69-M, AT 3035, EV RE-20, Sennheiser e609 (black), and of course a few 57's and 58's.

I get a lot of mileage out of those and can cover a lot of sonic ground reasonably well, but I'd like to add an SM-7, MD-421, a Beyerdynamic m-201, and an Studio Projects B3 to round things out in budget land someday. Probably in about that order.

id say...
As many Sm57s as you can afford, around 5/6 is a good number, sennheiser 421's are ace too. shure beta 52 for kick drum and bass cabs, audiotechnia 4050's are great all round LDC's for Oh/room/vox/whatever

Genius Gone Insane said:
Sugar, are you suggesting that you shouldn't use LDCs on overheads?

Actually, that's a good point. A pair of LDC's in ORTF is a great starting point for overheads. It sounds pretty good and it's really hard to screw it up.

It just depends what you like, I guess.

I started out using LDC's for overheads, but thanks to the advice of some forum members, I now really prefer a pair of SDC's for a wider stereo image. Blend in a distant Ribbon or LDC (and compress the shit out of it) to get some "beef" as needed.

for guitars the sm57, i5, and 609 are all must haves for me

the mxl 990 is a great cheap condenser, but i could live without it

that's all the decent mics i own, so my contribution to this thread ends here

J.DavisNJ said:

-Joe

Personally I would take a sm57 over any studio projects mic. I really beleive the only mic that EVERYONE agrees is the must have mic is a 57. I've heard conflicting views on everything else.