drum mics

daemon097

Nov 12, 2003
southern california
Visit site
Okay - so has anybody out there tried out the Sennheiser E604 mics for toms? Also - anybody have any opinion on the same class drum mic for the kick, the E602...perhaps compared to a AKG D112?

...I'm just looking to get some pretty good drum mics...and considering Sennheiser makes one of the best tom mics out there, I figured their cheaper version of it might be pretty damn close...and I have no clue about their kick drum mics...

I use the 604 often for live sound and am quite fond of them. They sound more like a 57 than 421 to my ears but still nice and great for getting into tight places.
I own a 602 and I like it alot. It seems more scooped to me than the d112. The 602's low boost starts lower than the D112's and it's highs seem to extend further. I personally prefer the 602 or the beta52 over the d112, but that's just me. The beta 91 is killer ofr getting attack and is cool to pair with any of above mics.
Anybody tried the AE2500?

The AE2500 is a little disappointing, very useful live, but in more critical studio conditions you have to really 'fight' it with eq. We all use use loads of eq on our drum mics, but in order to get a great sound it really should sound good before eq. The dynamic bit sounds a bit like D112, condenser sounds a bit like some cruddy Behringer condenser....shame as I'm a big fan of AT's other mics. For similar money, you can get a beta 52 AND beta 91, which really does sound killer. (and watch your buget skyrocket for drummers with two kicks)

The D112 never really cut it for me, sounds OK in some drums, TERRIBLE in others for metal stuff. The 602 is pretty good, quite close to a Beta 52. The E/V 868 is worth a try.

604's are very similar sounding to 57's when used on toms, just make sure you use them on a stand and not the clip when recording

the small 604's sound boxy to me, I wouldnt go that route. I actually like 58s on toms, see if you can try an Audix D2 or D4 also, I'm going to give them a try I think, sounded really good the other night. You wont go wrong with 57s though

the small 604's sound boxy to me, I wouldnt go that route. I actually like 58s on toms, see if you can try an Audix D2 or D4 also, I'm going to give them a try I think, sounded really good the other night. You wont go wrong with 57s though

daemon097 said:
okay - so it looks like the sennheisers sound similar to the sm57s....is it worth the extra cash than just using sm57s? or are there other tom mics you guys prefer that are in the $100/each range?
The 3 of 604's sells for $300 so it's only about $10 more per mic.

I have had great success with EV 868's on kicks for metal and Beta 52s. Main difference between the 2 to me is the 868 gives a 180hz peak and focus so the kick is more thuddy raw the Beta 52 has more of a 45-80hz spike and a more defined high end for that Click Boom tone. I generally use the 868 on bands with single kick/ single pedal drummers and Beta 52 on double kick/ double pedal drummers. I always end up sound replacing the kick in the mix but I like to replace it with the drummers own kick. So I take several samples with each mic and we decide in the mix.

I too use SM58s on toms but usually only on floor toms, 57s on rack toms (depends on size and tuning). I have heard the Audix stuff is great but I have not tried it myself.

Matt Smith said:
Andy-- Did you reamp the guitars for the remix? If so, what amp did you use? Thanks,

i'm interested in the answer to this as well Matt, but i have to say that having recently talked at length with Jeff Loomis about what exactly went wrong on the initial tracking sessions for enemies and all the subsequent over-dubbing i seem to recall asking him if a D.I. had been recorded for the main guitar rhythms and unless memory fails the answer was "no". :cry:

well, that Traci fellow dropped the ball in ever other aspect of that production, so i can't imagine that he would have had the foresight to record D.I. tracks., you know? :err:

no Di's but I've got the gtrs pretty raging. Terrible edits though, pops and crackles everywhere, some you don't notice in the mix but I'm having to play through vox tracks removing slithers of audio to get rid of noticable ones as it's all been consolidated. I'm enjoying it though, should be some interesting reactions to it, and Jeff is just shreading, it makes me laugh how good that guy is, probably the best guitar player I've ever worked with.