Tama Starclassic and Ported OCDP snare samples

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
Here ya guys go! Let me know what you think

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3463841/GWPi TAMA STARCLASSIC.rar

Some details -

WAV and TCI files.

Tama birch/bubinga kit: 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch toms, 22" kick.

The kick is a blend of the inside and outside mics, and has some processing, basically a bit of EQ.
Snare had some LA2A on the way in. Other than that, the snare and toms are raw.

The toms are just direct signals, the snare has direct and direct + overhead samples. There are WAVs of the separate top and port mics. Multiple articulations on the snare.

Mics were as follows:
Kick in - Sennheiser E901
Kick out - Sennheiser E902
Snare top - ATM450
Snare port - SM57
Tom 1 - 414
Tom 2 - 421
Tom 3 - 414
Tom 4 - 421
Overheads - Cascade Fathead II's

Have fun guys.

gonna download these now. Btw thanks for the bell brass and tom set from a little while back. I used them on a quick mix i did and they really worked great.

Very welcome, guys! I also have a set of Shine 14 and 16 inch toms laying around, but they're just single-velocity direct samples. They have a sweet pitch drop, though! I'll post em up when I get a chance.

Thanks for the samples man... I'm very interested in this thread because my drummer is about to choose between the tama starclassic bubinga/birch kit and a Maple Pearl Masters Custom kit.... we are due to enter the studio in April and I have no knowledge of the B/B kit ...

Can you recommend the Bubinga/Birch combo for studio use?... how does it compare to an all maple kit?

So far every maple kit I have recorded has sounded really good, so I want to be sure we don't make a mistake by going the bubinga/birch route.

Thanks in advance!

This is my first time tracking a birch/bubinga kit, but I would take the Tama Starclassic over the Pearl Masters Custom, personally. I'm not a drummer, so please keep that in mind. Every Starclassic I've tracked has sounded great (the sample set I posted with the Bell Brass snare in it was a maple Starclassic). The kick drum on this kit really shines, and it's dead-easy to get it to sound great. The project I'm doing now borders on metal, and I could get away without augmenting the kick with a sample, and that's rare for me. I usually suffer through trying to get a decent kick sound, and with this birch/bubinga kit, it was almost too easy. I suppose I'd prefer maple toms, but this kit doesn't sound half bad. That's more of a preference thing, I think. I like the brighter, snappier sound of the maple kits.

I wish I had a bigger room so I could put up room mics that weren't totally useless. Oh well, new location in a few months, so no reason to worry now.

Yea, the more I listen to the toms in the mix, the more they grow on me. I thought I would have to replace them or stack them, but I'm confidant I can make them work.

Yea, we spent a while on it. Usually I don't have a problem getting toms tuned. I'm used to doing it myself because most drummers don't know a damn thing about it, in my experience. For some reason, this kit fought the whole way. I'd put money on the 12 inch tom having a slightly warped shell. Choked like a motherfucker.

Yea, we spent a while on it. Usually I don't have a problem getting toms tuned. I'm used to doing it myself because most drummers don't know a damn thing about it, in my experience. For some reason, this kit fought the whole way. I'd put money on the 12 inch tom having a slightly warped shell. Choked like a motherfucker.

Was most likely bad bearing edges. There are quite a lot of slightly unlikely factors that would have to take place in order cause a kit of that caliber to have warped shells. Bearing edges on the other hand need to be recut (or at least re-shaped) once a year just due to regular use.

Samples rule though. I could probably find use for the ringy style snare. Kick is awesome.