New Nevermore Drum Micing

Exsanguis

Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I just got around to taking a look at the pics of the drum setup for the new Nevermore, and had a few mic questions.
1) What's the mic on the snare?
2) What's the mic on the floor tom(it looks like an audio technica, but I can't really see it clearly)?
3) What are the various overheads and hihat mics?
4) I see small stands for the kick drum mics. What mics are they holding?
5) I noticed a silver condenser a few feet in front of the kit. What mic is it, and have you been using room mics on all of your recent recordings?

Looks awesome, and the clip was really great.

that snare mic intrigues me as well.it looks like a neumann km86 but those are front address and that certainly is not the way he has the mic pointing. i'd be interested to know the answer myself.

Yeah, I would like to know all that too… And I noticed the clamps on the toms. I have never seen clamps that could fit the 521’s before, any ideas what brand they might be?

Snare is a KM86i, which is side address, download pdf here http://www.neumann.com/infopool/history/produkte.php?ProdID=km86

All toms are 421, just had to adapt a clip on the floor as I've lost the proper one.

OH's are shure sm81's and Audio Technica, room is M149 and kicks are beta 52's.

Not sure what the clamps are, just cheap Stagg ones I think, but I found they fit 421's if you use the clamp upside down!

thanks for answering andy. i dunno why i thought the km86 was front address (and to think i've used one before :oops: ). i'm sure everything is sounding great. cant wait to hear it.

Thanks a lot Andy. How do you like the Beta 52. I've been looking into kick mics for a little while now, and am leaning towards the D6. How does the 52(or for that matter, the D112, 421, or any other kick mic) compare to it? I can't wait to hear this record, it looks and sounds awesome.

oh yeah, got an SM98 on snare bottom. Beta 52's are ok, tried 91's also but seeing as we'll probably be triggering we just went with the 52 as they sounded better in this case. I'm wanting to try the D6 out myself.

Tried the Audix D6 for the first time t'other day at a live date. Marvellous.
A bit like a beta 52 but better... clicky and peaky but still quite 'woody' heh
Will be stocking Audix in my shop now I was so impressed. Quite looking forward to trying the Audix tom mics as well.

Andy, what were the A/T's you're using for the OHs? Just bought a pair of 4050's, absolutely stonking. Oh, also let me know if you want to try out a D6, will try and sort out a demo one for you, as they have a proper UK distro now