Studio Diary - One week in my craptacular studio!

MKS

May 24, 2005
I got a few people asking me how I track in the studio. I'm preparing to record two bands this coming Saturday July 22, 2006. I offered them both a chance to record 1 song each for free so I could try out my new drum mic setup. I will document the entire process.

You'll notice that we don't have much space. 12' x 10' one room studio. It will be at least a year before we can move into bigger space.

Bands I'm recording:
Buried By Angels: http://www.myspace.com/buriedbyangels
This is the same drummer from the COAST (mixing contest).

Updated July 26, 2006
http://www.mksstudios.com/studio_diary/bba_studio1.wmv

I just did this to line up the footage with the recording. The video of Marks (drums) actual take is corrupt. So, I used his first take and obviously it won't line up right.

I'm still trying to extract the correct drums take.

The sound track is a basic not mixed version from the raw tracks.

Updated July 24, 2006
Here are the raw tracks for an untitled song from Buried By Angels:
Wave Files Zipped (292MB)
[DEAD LINK]
No vox yet and missing lead at the end. I'm sorry I didn't mention that before. Those will come later.

Pain Awaiting: http://www.myspace.com/painawaiting

Updated August 05, 2006
Here are the raw tracks for "Dead Weight" from Pain Awaiting:
Wave Files Zipped (278MB)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A5A1BED53D9FE02C

Some minor timing issues but this was practice session and we weren't that concerned.

For this recording, the drummers are bringing cymbals and pedals but using my kit. I've instructed the guitarists to only bring their guitars. I plan to reamp their tracks later.

Here's my kit mic'd up:

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg

I'm using the Auralex Xpanders again for each mic.
  • Snare - SM57 & DDrum Trigger -> RME Firewire 800
  • Under Small Toms - Sennheiser MD421II -> RME Firewire 800
  • Under Large Toms - Sennheiser MD421II -> RME Firewire 800
  • Kick - e602 & DDrum Trigger -> RME Firewire 800
  • Toms - e604 -> M-Audio Octane
  • Hats - MAudio Nova Condenser Microphone -> M-Audio Octane
  • Overheads - (2) MAudio Nova Condenser Microphone -> M-Audio Octane
  • Ambient- (2) Behringer B2 Pro Microphone -> M-Audio Octane

I may add a mic under the ride bell as Andy suggested in another thread. However, I only have two mic choices left:
Rode K2 Tube Microphone
SM57

Not sure if either of those would be a good choice.

I'll post video and audio sample once they become available.

Seizure. said:
The rode seems tricky too.. but i think that it'll still be better then the sm57, dynamics are slower with transients.
a pencil condenser mic would be perfect!

Yeah, I agree. I'm broke right now. No more new gear for a few weeks.

WMV Video http://www.mksstudios.com/studio_diary/studio1.wmv
MOV Video http://www.mksstudios.com/studio_diary/studio1.mov

I'm sorry for the poor quality video. This camera I purchased sucks. This is just video of our amazingly small studio. The footage was taken before the bands arrived and added their own cymbals and pedals.

We had two bands come (Buried by Angles & Pain Awaiting) in and one singer to finish tracking the Fools Crown project. I managed to get about 3 hours of video of the recording process. I'll post them later when I have a chance to review and edit the footage.

Both drummers ended up using all my drums, including the snare. The only complaint I received was the EMAD kick head didn't have enough bounce for fast double bass. This usually doesn't bother me since I'm not a speed demon. I play more like Mark Zonder of fates warning type stuff except I suck and he doesn't.

I also plan on posting the raw tracks for anybody that's want a shot at mixing and mastering. This was another one of my free days in the studio so they know their stuff is going to be dissected and mixed by folks all around the world.

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Is it just the picture, or is the mic on the first tom at a really weird angle? It almost looks like it's pointing at the snare.

Steve

I'm fairly sure they were all adjusted back to normal once the drummer moved the kit around to their preference.

The toms and snare were shifted slighlty.

But then again, it wouldn't be my first screwup. It was a rushed day since the first band showed up 2.5 hours late.

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Ha - well I just though I'd check in case it was really some clever technique, and not just that someone had knocked the stand :p

Steve

LOL

Yeah, there was nothing clever in the studio yesterday. It was all RUSH RUSH RUSH (and I ain't talkin' about the band "Rush"). Regardless, I still had fun. I can't think of a better way to waste an entire Saturday.

Raw Tracks added to the first post of this thread. Feel free to be a mix master. Just keep in mind, I might use the first decent mix for my next video project.

Another set of tracks for another band will be added by tomorrow morning. I'm uploading now.

Always nice to see other people's home studios. What type of building is it located?

I have a recording room almost as small as yours but it's much lower. The shape is pretty weird too. It's located behind the sauna :) I use it only for tracking. It looks like this:

studio-pohja.gif

Well, no matter how tiny the room, if it's treated decently enough, can sound perfectly fine. Just goes to show you how much acoustic treatments (in other words, foam and traps, etc.) really do contribute to your environment. I'd much rather have a tiny ass room that's treated pretty nicely than a nice big room that's treated improperly. At least with the tiny room you can add room verb and such after-the-fact, a big room that's just empty/not treated is a lot harder to work with.

~e.a

Daunt said:
Always nice to see other people's home studios. What type of building is it located?

It's a small two bedroom house. Built in the 50's and located in Central Ohio.

I added a scratch video of Buried by Angels in the original post of this thread.