Microphones

freewill

Apr 7, 2010
Right now I am running through a pretty cheap Apex condenser mic for all live instruments from acoustic and electric guitar to vocals and bass. (I program drums.) I also have an Audix fusion series f10 mic that I used to use on snares to record some electric guitar going through the original M-audio fasttrack.

my question:

what mics were popular back in the early 90s for heavy guitars and vocals. e.g early 90s death metal as on Death's Human album or even ...And Justice for All. I guess its a rhetoric question, but any suggestions on what the pros used back in the day would be much welcomed.

Thanks.

Also, if you have any suggestions on a good, lower-priced mic for acoustic guitars/clean vocals it'd be much appreciated.

a Sm57 is perfect for guitars . A Sm58 is good for vocals, so is the SM58a. I mean they have plenty of ways to go, but these two are good starting points. Plus a 57 will last you foreverrr. They are built like tanks.

Isnt the 57 the most popular today and even back in the 90s?

:lol: You make it sound like it was colonial times, like we were using a feather and quill on papyrus to writeth our soliloquies of wanton death and destruction.

here's a potentially stupid question but i've been thinking about it for a while...

when you guys use SM57 for vocals... do you use any windscreen or anything of the sort, or do you just hand the mic to the vocalist and let him at it? does it work that way? i don't own one yet myself so i haven't been able to test, but it doesn't look like it has any windscreen or internal pop filter in it.

if you use a windscreen, wouldn't that be essentially the same as just using an SM58?

i'm keen to try it out because it's a microphone that seems to get suggested often for death metal vocals.

i'm keen to try it out because it's a microphone that seems to get suggested often for death metal vocals.

don't get the sm57 confused with the sm7.

I personally have never used an sm57 for vocals outside of a live environment, but typically i have never seen the use of a windscreen on one. pop filter would be highly preferred, but if you giving it to a vocalist that performs a better take with a handheld, you might be better off with a 58, or other stage vocal mic to reduce plosives and pops. if the 57 is the only option, then try to make/use a windscreen to reduce plosives etc...

thanks for the feedback. I am only now getting into the hardware part of things. As well as just now getting into more intermediate aspects of Logic Pro 9. the thread helps alot.