What would YOU do?

Kafka

May 29, 2012
Work
I have a very simple set up...just a mic a fast-track and logic pro.

I am getting better at the recording process but I've hit a wall as I've realized that my guitar tone(acoustic) seems to suck terribly. I did some research and I've narrowed it down to my mic.

The problem is the mic is an Audix f10 dynamic mic and i guess its used primarily for snares. here is the mic http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audix/F10

so pretty much its scooping all the mids out of the guitar which is resulting in a weak signal and crappy tone. What would you do in my situation.

I've tried eq-ing and compression but it still sounds weak. any advice?

I know I know...

but i cant afford anything at the moment, my transmission went out and I am flat frickin' broke. So I was asking for alternatives haha.

I don't think you'll get alternatives that don't cost any money. Even a cheap condenser will be a lot better. After that nice sounding JUMBO acoustic guitar with fresh strings. The cheap condenser will be the least expensive update.

Borrow. 57 from a friend or a 58...

Does the guitar really sound good in the room? If it is, then mic it a little far. Not too close.

This, seriously is probably the best advice I read on this thread so far...
When speaking about acoustic guitar recording, guitar and room are the most important element (off course player come first in the chain).

Unless you spend some serious money on a LDC, stay with a 57.

Yea the guitar sounds good with the room. A condenser is definitely on my shopping list when I get money.

So you guys are saying there is no way to boost the signal? I have the input and gain turned all the way up on the interface, still quiet. I use Gain, compression(almost to the point of overdoing it), and even the exciter which boosts the hell out of my high frequency's and undoes the eq on the track. I guess I could put the exciter before the eq but I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

You'd be barking up the wrong tree if you're thinking of trying to remove or counteract the inherent equalisation balance of a microphone. As the guitar is an inherently midrange based instrument - using a tom microphone - which is specifically designed to remove inherent midrange muddiness in favour of both low end resonance and top end presence is never going to give you the result you are after - nor will trying to remove such qualities - shit in, shit out.