Mic Changing Tones

Mar 18, 2008
I made a thread a little while ago about the guitar sound i was recording changing during the recording from take to take. I finally narrowed it down to a e609 mic i was using. Im pretty annoyed because it is a newer mic, yet i've had it for just long enough that the receipt is gone and i dont think ill be able to return it. Is there any way to fix a mic that is changing tones, or is it not even worth it and i should just scrap it.

pretty bad. Completely noticeable with all the other tracks up. Even when paired with a 57 on the same take and all the tracks up. As im writing this im realizing i should have posted this in the equipment section... my bad.

Check out the thread titled something like "is it worth using dual mics on a guitar cab?" to see just a few of the many places I've read people hating the e609 for guitars anyway, so I say good riddance, and at least now you know! :loco:

Is there any way to fix a mic that is changing tones, or is it not even worth it and i should just scrap it.
2 options:
HONEST
1. all evolution mics have a 10 year warranty. You could send it back.
DISHONEST
2. Evolution mics don't have serials. You could buy a new one at guitar center and return your broken one to them and get your money back.

DISHONEST
2. Evolution mics don't have serials. You could buy a new one at guitar center and return your broken one to them and get your money back.

Hahahahahaha, I've done that with sooooo many electronics (specifically like 3 PS2 controllers :lol: )

hahaha that is genious! How horrid that I never thought of that!

I made a thread a little while ago about the guitar sound i was recording changing during the recording from take to take. I finally narrowed it down to a e609 mic i was using. Im pretty annoyed because it is a newer mic, yet i've had it for just long enough that the receipt is gone and i dont think ill be able to return it. Is there any way to fix a mic that is changing tones, or is it not even worth it and i should just scrap it.

Were you recording a tube head? How long was it on when you started recording? Was your pre a tube pre? Have you tried other mics with that mic pre? It could be an issue with the mic preamp.

Were you recording a tube head? How long was it on when you started recording? Was your pre a tube pre? Have you tried other mics with that mic pre? It could be an issue with the mic preamp.

I tried both tube amps and solid-states, and had the mic plugged into different pre-amps for different recordings where i had the problem, so it was definitely the mic.

Ill probably just cut it as a loss, even though that guitar center mic swap is very tempting.

I tried both tube amps and solid-states, and had the mic plugged into different pre-amps for different recordings where i had the problem, so it was definitely the mic.

Ill probably just cut it as a loss, even though that guitar center mic swap is very tempting.

That sucks! I can't think of what would cause a dynamic mic to do that. I could definitely see something like that happen with a condenser, but I can't figure out why that would happen with a dynamic. There are only three major components to a dynamic mic (diaphragm, coil, and magnet) and it's hard to guess a scenario that might be causing the problem.

I'll see what I can come up with. I'll call up some people that I know that work with Sennheiser to see if they've experienced the same issues with the E609. My guess is that someone has because performance issues are rarely only experienced by one person.