Room Mic, or Snare Bottom mic

avrinder

May 25, 2009
Canada
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I have a Profire 2626 (recording in a few days)

7 mics are accounted for, I'm just wondering for the 8th mic;

What would you rather (Room mic for a decent room...not much treatment, or a snare bottom mic)

I can try both when I'm there, I'm just curious to see what you guys would do.

depends how much triggering you're going to do, the style of music and how good the room sounds...
but I'm erring on saying room mic.

I would always go for a bottom snare mic personally, unless you're going to be doing heavy sample replacing, in which case it might be a waste of an input.

Personally I'd go for the snare bottom mic. As the guys said though it depends on the genre and also the room. If it is slow stoner/post rock stuff I'd go room instead

Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to link multiple ADAT devices? Like 2 ADA8000 with a Profire 2626, making 24 inputs? (ADA8000 > ADA8000 > Profire)

The bottom mic for sure! You can always emulate an awsome room with reverb impulses!

Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to link multiple ADAT devices? Like 2 ADA8000 with a Profire 2626, making 24 inputs? (ADA8000 > ADA8000 > Profire)

Yes, this is exactly what it's for!

The 2626 has two ADAT inputs (8 channels each), you would connect one to port A and one to port B, make sure the two ports are activated in the control software and you're done, 24 channels of input.

Yes, this is exactly what it's for!

The 2626 has two ADAT inputs (8 channels each), you would connect one to port A and one to port B, make sure the two ports are activated in the control software and you're done, 24 channels of input.

Thanks Mike!
I forgot it has two ADAT inputs (I'm not at home atm)!
What I wondered was if it was possible to route the ADAT out from one ADA8000 into the ADAT in on another ADA8000, then the ADAT out from that one into the Profire ADAT in!

Not sure, what are you trying to accomplish with that? Daisy chaining? I'm pretty sure it won't work that way, it's not like FireWire, AFAIK anyway - never tried it.

Thanks Mike!
I forgot it has two ADAT inputs (I'm not at home atm)!
What I wondered was if it was possible to route the ADAT out from one ADA8000 into the ADAT in on another ADA8000, then the ADAT out from that one into the Profire ADAT in!

Nope, the ADAT in of a ADA8000 is routed to the analogue line outs. Plus ADAT can only carry 8 channels of audio, so daisy chaining in this way doesn't work.

A little off topic but am I going to hear a noticeable difference between the ADA8000 and a DigimaxFS. Wondering if the ADA8000 would just be a quick fix- opinions? Should I invest in the Digimax a little later on when I know I have the cash? Sorry to steal the convo I have a session tomorrow

I would personally go with the room mic, probably because I like how my room sounds.

As for the profire, you can get it up to 26 channels, hence the name

A little off topic but am I going to hear a noticeable difference between the ADA8000 and a DigimaxFS. Wondering if the ADA8000 would just be a quick fix- opinions? Should I invest in the Digimax a little later on when I know I have the cash? Sorry to steal the convo I have a session tomorrow

The ADA pres are not that bad actually used them along my profire and have no complains... and for the money the 8 extra channels is not bad at all. I use the ADA primarly for when a drummer has more toms and for a snare and kick trigger and so far so good.