SD2 and replacing, room mic

Jaekae

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
Wondering what you guys do about the room mic when replacing kick and snare and toms, do you remove the the original drumsound from the room mic? Do make a fake room track? Or just let it be and replace anyways

If you were recording a real kit you couldn't replace the drums in your room mics, could you?

You can get creative. I like to use Slate kick and snare for the main sounds, with the Slate room and overs turned off. Then I'd turn the direct sounds off on the Superior kick and snare but leave THEIR room/overhead routings. You're stacking sounds now of course but it can make the Slate (or any replacement) drums fit in the room more "naturally". And Superior packs have great rooms! I came to this a different way with wanting to use other cymbals with my Slate kit. I was hesitant at first since the room sounds would be of totally different drums but you have so many to choose form and can tune them and we blend sounds anyway. You might like what you find. It's easy to get Superior and Kontakt playing together if you know how your DAW handles mapping.