Room mic question

Sam Bottner

Jul 18, 2010
Chicago
I haven't had the chance to record my drummer yet with decent equipment, but I was wondering for when I do, if I use a room mic (which I plan on doing), won't it sound off if I quantize the individual drum tracks? I can't really quantize anything on the room mic track. I was thinking maybe monitoring back the edited drums and using a condenser to act as a room mic of that, but I'm not sure if that would work. Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.

If you quantize drums, always work on all tracks!!!! That means, if you wanna move a kick cut ALL tracks before the kick (on the kick track) and before the next hit (lets say snare). Then move the this part on all Tracks. Use the search function. There should be like 1000000000 threads about how to edit drum with and without beat detective, audiosnap or whatever.

If you are looking for a cheap room mic, go for a Behringer ECM 8000. It's about 50Eur.

If the room is to small put a mic over the drummers head. Move it until it captures the whole drumkit. Then ask a friend who's got Altiverb to put a impulse of a good sounding studio on it (Edison NY is just awesome). Highpass is between 80-100Hz and lowpass between 8-9KHz. Cut around 350Hz and 700Hz until the Kick and Snare sound balanced. Then compress the shit out of it. Use fastest attack and release times. 1176LN all buttons in is the best choice.