Drum Room Mics- what to listen for?

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Whenever I record drums I throw up a spare mic onto a stand and use that as a drum room mic.
Thing is I'm not sure what qualities to look for in a good room mic- what should I be listening for? I rarely end up using the room mic since I'm basically just adding it in and seeing if it contributes positively to the drum sounds

So what qualities should i be listening for in the room mics and how do ye guys then treat them in the mix too?

I usually try to get the snare sounding good in the room mics. Probably the main thing for me is to not pick up too much cymbals, it can make the cymbals a little washy and unfocused come mix time, especially if the mics are heavily compressed. I've had decent results putting the mics about waist high and sometimes even putting the them behind a baffle, but this can make them a little too distant and ambient, depending on what you're going for.
When I mix, sometimes the room mics are slammed through a compressor, sometimes barely compressed at all,it always varies. Eq wise I almost always roll off a little bottom and low mids, and put a low pass as low as I can without fucking up the sound of the snare.
For Metal, you probably don't want the drums too roomy, depending on what style you are going for, but the room mics can really help glue the kit together, especially if you are relying heavily on samples for your drum sound.

in my opinion the room mics have two alternative purposes:

1) You open up the room mics first and then start to build your drumtone on top of it.
2) If your drum track is lacking something with close mics and overheads, you should try to get it with the room mic.

for me, the room mic is there to give a realistic representation of the kit...and as such, you want to place it so that it sounds as though you're sitting right in front of the kit yourself

depends on the sort of music really, and what the room sounds like.
if its metal you'llm probably use a lot less than a more driving rock thing.

I normally set up some ribbons in front of the kit a few feet back in blumlein and also have a d112 in some random place in the room smashed to fuck thru the 1176. reeeealy cool