MIDI Metal Drums for everyone using Addictive Drums, Superior, etc...

DrumWerks

Apr 4, 2007
www.drumwerks.com
also the third track is not maybe the most representative(?) example as the cymbal hits after second snare hit sound more like fuck ups, but thats just me :D

True in a way, but the point of using midi grooves (in my opinion) is to have more realism than just programming things by hand. I'd never come up with something like that, but a drummer could play like that.

(Of course some people might use them instead of programming by hand because they can't program by hand at all, but I'm talking from my perspective)

Fama - I have to agree with you.

The parts that are less than metronome perfect are because they were played by something other than a metronome. It's always a weird thing to make a drummer playing live to sound natural when the idea of perfection is achievable with a click of a button.

And, if they really sounded off, it takes a moment to get out the eraser and wipe them off (or hit quantized and they'll be as perfect as you'd never want them to be).

Thanks man! So much easier to write to a nice set of grooves and then go back and tweak to taste rather than starting from scratch!

How are the grooves laid out...song form (broken out by intro, outro, verse, chrous, fills), or just simply a folder of grooves? Also are they named accordingly with things like hh for hi-hat, R for ride, db for double-bass, etc in the naming convention? Nothing more I hate than when I buy a midi pack and I get a bunch of "Groove1.mid, Groove2.mid" so I have to listen to every single groove and make up my own names before I can even do anything with them.

Any chance of a small representative demo sample pack like Groove Monkee does, so we can take them for a test drive first to see what we are getting?

I was REALLY disappointed with the grooves in Extreme thrash II Toontrack beats. They had really odd random cymbal and hats that didn't fit the rest of the drums, and as for the fills and rolls etc..wow.

So I am in the market for something. I was thinking of just waiting for SS 4.0, since there are a load of grooves coming with that.

I am selling the Toontrack grooves btw. Since I set it up so well, haha. I'm also selling DFH EZ expansion. It's great, but I made the switch to SSD.

I'm messing with them right now, they are pretty good, but I'm having issues with EZplayer mapping them to SSD. All the chinas and splashes are being mapped to chrashes and rides. Any idea on how to fix this? In EZplayer I have the midi's coming in as GM drums, and my output mapping set to SSD 3.5

Thanks for the kind words. Let me see if I can answer the questions raised.

How are the grooves laid out? They are named by rhythmic voice, not by song form. So, names will be like 150_HH_Groove_01, 180_RC_Groove_02, 140_OHH_DB_Groove_010. HH=hihat, RC=Ride Cymbal, OHH=Open Hihat. Grooves with "DB" are intensively or exclusively double kick patterns, one without may have little or none (maybe an occasional accenting ruff).

Definitely NO "Groove1.mid, Groove2.mid" - I agree those are useless and frustrating.

Also, we didn't do it like Toontrack with the Variation01, Variation02 type naming. To me, those made sense only when within a folder. But, sometimes you want to grab a handful and bring them somewhere else. Then, you have no clue. So, we tried to build names that describe what/how the loop will play - no matter if they are the folders as we organized them or if you decide to create a better organizational system for your particular work flow.

I never liked the whole "names by song part" naming systems. Who says a verse part has to be one way or another? Sure, rides and crash ride patterns usually get played in the chorus or bridge sections, but we'll leave that to the song writer. If they want something played on a closed hihat, then you know exactly what to look for in the folders.

And, yes, we have to get up some demo sample packs so everyone can take them for a test drive first. I will see that some representative trial sets are put up by the end of the week.

Wolfeman, are you still having issues with some of the chinas and splashes being mapped to crashes and rides? Let me know.

Essentially, these were performed with Superior 2. So, I know voices are correct there. But, I didn't get a chance to fly these into SSD. Will have to get that. Should have talked to Steven at NAMM when I had the chance.

Thanks for the kind words. Let me see if I can answer the questions raised.

How are the grooves laid out? They are named by rhythmic voice, not by song form. So, names will be like 150_HH_Groove_01, 180_RC_Groove_02, 140_OHH_DB_Groove_010. HH=hihat, RC=Ride Cymbal, OHH=Open Hihat. Grooves with "DB" are intensively or exclusively double kick patterns, one without may have little or none (maybe an occasional accenting ruff).

Definitely NO "Groove1.mid, Groove2.mid" - I agree those are useless and frustrating.

Also, we didn't do it like Toontrack with the Variation01, Variation02 type naming. To me, those made sense only when within a folder. But, sometimes you want to grab a handful and bring them somewhere else. Then, you have no clue. So, we tried to build names that describe what/how the loop will play - no matter if they are the folders as we organized them or if you decide to create a better organizational system for your particular work flow.

I never liked the whole "names by song part" naming systems. Who says a verse part has to be one way or another? Sure, rides and crash ride patterns usually get played in the chorus or bridge sections, but we'll leave that to the song writer. If they want something played on a closed hihat, then you know exactly what to look for in the folders.

And, yes, we have to get up some demo sample packs so everyone can take them for a test drive first. I will see that some representative trial sets are put up by the end of the week.

Thanks for the answers, looking forward to the demo pack.

Wolfeman, are you still having issues with some of the chinas and splashes being mapped to crashes and rides? Let me know.

Essentially, these were performed with Superior 2. So, I know voices are correct there. But, I didn't get a chance to fly these into SSD. Will have to get that. Should have talked to Steven at NAMM when I had the chance.

I dropped the hammer.

Before I delve in, I use SS. Am I going to have an issue with the cymbals?

I had a chat with Steve at NAMM. Blew my mind to be honest. So much knowledge.

I am a noob...

All I do is drag the midi file into the piano roll in Kontakt. Will the cymbals be off?

UPDATE:

When I preview them in the loop explorer in Sonar 7 with SS/Kontakt highlighted they play great, when I double click to insert it or drag it to the SS/Kontakt track I get partial drums in the Kontakt piano roll and it creates a new midi track.

The groove monkey grooves cover SS, DFH etc etc. I'm very noobish, new to midi etc etc. I presume there is somewhere in Kontakt where I can make it respond to these midi files correctly?

Should I go on Kontakt forums or is this a basic incompatability thing due to them being tracked via Toontrack?

Hi! I bought those loops and i am having problems with them in addictive drums. It seems like mapping is not right, what mapping should i use in addictive drums? Im using ad version 1.5.1.

Yeah I'm still having issues, but I think it's an issue with EZplayer, since it's messing with my SSD grooves and Groove Monkey stuff as well. Funny since it maps all the Toontrack grooves fine.

I got a new set of grooves from Slam Tracks designed for SS but I still have the same issue.

Here is a desktop video of my problem

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D601408_236408_6573797

First I drag one of the the slamtracks grooves into the track. As you can see when
I drop it, I have to scroll down to track 11 which is where it ended
up (which is a wav track).

Then I show you a groove from another company formatted for SS. As
you can see, when I drag and drop it, it goes straight into the
correct track.

I can manually import them, just not do it the usual quickest way.

That said, these grooves are the best I have ever used. And the support is really quick to try and help me out. It's probably user error, so if anyone has any tips, feel free to school me.