midnight sunrise live

xXSTFDXx

New Metal Member
Mar 24, 2010
Wassup!

So, midnight sunrise is probably my favorite song from BM. I've extensively searched for some live footage, but never found any. So have they ever played this song live? If they haven't, then why not?

I will also take the opportunity to hijack my own thread and ask to the fanatic fans who somehow know everything about the band and are even acquainted to some of its members if there are any chances that Turisas will come to south america any time soon.. :heh:

yes they did, at least once, a live version of Midnight Sunrise was used as a bonus track on the Japanese issue of Battle Metal.

Actually, this is not completely true. Back when we were recording BM in 2003, we all of a sudden were told to come up with a bunch of bonuses for different purposes, for which there had been no time nor budget whatsoever. So we took a very old crappy rehearsal room tape from year god-knows-when and dubbed it "live" because it sounds so crap. (Mind you, it's still a live recording straight on C-cassette, but not in front of an audience) As far as I recall, it's even really hard to tell it's Midnight Sunrise at all. And even if it is, it would have been some sort of an early pre-version, most likely even without lyrics. That is the level of shiteness of this awesome bonus track!

To answer the actual question, Midnight Sunrise has been performed live only once: W:O:A 2005, Party Stage, some time between 02 and 03 in the morning.

Why? We could not have reproduced the female vocals on the track (which we actually had the same singer as on the album flown in from France for the Wacken show...)

So there you have it. :)

yeah, indeed...i can´t and dont want to afford that...maybe once it somewhen gets cheaper...

Ive always wanted to hear that.

and Terra Tavestorum too! i heard a 30 second clip of both of the tracks somewhere, i forgot where, but they were awesome (of what i got to hear)

Nygård;8980583 said:
Why? We could not have reproduced the female vocals on the track (which we actually had the same singer as on the album flown in from France for the Wacken show...)

So there you have it. :)

Well, that's a point. On the other hand, you could do the same you do with the keyboards now that the keyboardist is gone - play a tape. I mean seriously, ten years from now you guys will look back to your first albums and Midnight Sunrise will surely be one of your classics. It is an incredible and very nostalgic song, you must play it live! :headbang:
(At any rate I'm sure you would receive an amazing reaction from the public, even if it was a tape instead of a person).

well, I´d prefer NOT to hear it live, if the ONLY option was a tape of the female singing being played. I don´t like such things. It has not much to do anymore with a live performance.
A bit of instruments added, okay, it´s a dance on a razorblade for my taste, but vocals, no matter what kind of? Nope. Not for me. *hides*

Andreas is right. Dream Theater did the same thing with a guy whose voice had nothing to do with the original one, and no one even noticed.

My prediction is that the next album will be such a $ucce$$ that Turisas will be able to bring anyone from anywhere they wish on charter plane by just snapping their fingers. Remember I said it first; everyone else is a copycat ;)

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

For those who haven't had the chance, here's the gemstone:

Nothing like some live photos to give it some true live legitimacy ;)

Note & Disclaimer: I know what I have just done and I don't take this lightly. In light of the large amount of Turisas material already available on YouTube, I feel somewhat less guilty. In case anyone officially connected with the band's interests (band members, publisher, music house, digital rights management, etc) feels I have stepped over the line, all I need is a simple email or message and the video will be removed.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. This song is too ridiculously beautiful, even in this low-budget, unfinished version.

Oh Warlord, if Turisas ever comes to Brazil you must play this song. I promise, you will get the best reaction from a public you've ever gotten. Turisas fans down here all fell in love with this song and are crazy about it.

(hahahaha... anyone noticed towards the end of the song jussi hitted a wrong note and just stopped playing?)

@ xXSTFDXx, You do know Turisas used to have 2 guitarists back in the day?
They had a guy called Ari Kärkkäinen (1997-1999), who was later replaced by Georg Laakso (1999-2006 - you might know him from Cadacross).

So chances are, it's not Jussi who plays that 'wrong' note (I still haven't hear what part you mean exactly, btw). but then again, maybe it is. It's a rehearsal after all =)

Oh and if you haven't heard of Cadacross, check them out!

Also, what's up with adding the "crowd noises". lol. Why not just add the track to the Japanese edition of BM for what it was - a rehearsal/demo-thingy?

I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

Edit - Wow. Cadacross is awesome instrumentally, but it is yet another band ruined by a poor gutural. Just imagine that with Mathias' or Johan's (from amon amarth) vocals.