Mikael Åkerfeldt speaks about new Opeth fans

I saw them on the first leg of the tour when they came with nevermore to ft. lauderdale and axenrot was a bit sloppy. But when I saw them again in the second leg of the tour (Orlando) they sounded as tight as with Lopez; even taking into consideration that bands usually take it lax in the last day of touring (something Dark Tranquillity did best during their show.... ) the band sounded great and even went into a quasi-jazz portion where Mikael was thanking everybody in the tour by name.
I think once he learns the songs he'll be fine in the eyes of the fans.

I'm behind Mikael 100%. Sure, it really sucks that Lopez is gone, but it was necessary for his own well-being and health. Opeth will still be Opeth as long as Mikael's behind the wheel, no matter who is in the passenger seat.

You gotta love the fans who claim he's selling out and is just in it for the money. Yeah, like he'd really be willing to tell a large part of his fanbase to fuck off if he was just in it to make money. :rolleyes: Somebody commented on how Opeth has some of the most elitists fans ever on the Blabbermouth article about this, and it's so true--with the exception of Dream Theater's fans, though honestly they seem to share a decent amount of the same fanbase. Props to Mikael for being passionate enough to stand up for what he believes in regardless of what everyone else thinks.

I hate seeing musicians whose music I love acting as immature and classless as the most immature and classless fans posting on their forum. I'd say it's one thing to think some people are idiots, it's another to call them idiots on the forum of a band you're in. To me it's unprofessional and disappointing.

Oh well...I don't have to like a person's character to like their art.

- Chris

You know, if I were a musician I think I'd be tempted to just never do interviews and just create my music. Never look at anything on the internet or subscribe to magazines.

Stuff always gets misinterpreted, or twisted around.

I think that is prolly why Rush was always to "to themselves" all those years.

Hahaha, wooow. He sounds angry, but I'm with him here. Let's see what Axe can do.

Disclaimer: I love Opeth.

Seconded. I can't help but think that after all these years Mikael would be fully aware of how to run the band. I don't honestly think he would've grabbed Axe to fill Lopez's shoes if he didn't honestly think the guy could handle it. I'm sure there will be stylistic differences and alterations but differences in style are hardly an indication of a step down in terms of talent or ability.

Regardless of what happens, I'm still eagerly awaiting their next release.

He has to fill Anders Nordin's shoes too. IMO Anders was better. But maybe that's just because Opeth did stuff I liked more when they had Anders...

But I still love their later works, and the drumming is solid. From what I can tell, Nordin and Lopez had fairly different styles too. I bet that Lopez didn't play the pieces Nordin wrote the same way either.

And what should fans care anyhow. If you don't like the new drummer, listen to the old stuff, don't go see them live, and just imagine that nothing ever changed.

yeah, I would like to hear to bid you farewell as the "slow things down a lil bit" song in the set. maybe that nice lil piano interlude from Orchid what's name currently eludes me...

Good... maybe this will give Opeth's music the kick in the ass that it needs. It's been all downhill since My Arms, Your Hearse, IMO. The last several Opeth albums have been sleep-inducing.

I'm sad to say I have to agree with you.

I don't miss the old drummer so much as I miss the old bassist. Mikael would probably curse me out if I brought that up though.