MIKE PORTNOY, STEVE MORSE, NEAL MORSE, DAVE LARUE Join Forces In New Project

True. But the term "super group" tends to suggest a star-studded line up. I think people tend to quickly label any project that includes band members with any semblance of a resume, "super group". As with all things, it's a matter of perspectives. But in my mind, this is not a super group.

This. The day a progressive-death-power-thrashy metal band is started featuring Mike Eriksen, Mike Akerfeldt and Warrel Dane on vocals, Kiko Loureiro and Jeff Loomis on guitars, Flo Mounier on drums, Andreas Blomqvist on bass and Jordan Rudess on keyboards, I will call it a supergroup.

I also think we're stretching the definition of the word "super". Two guys from the Dixie Dregs, a guy from Spock's Beard, and the drummer from Dream Theater? Even within our little corner of the world, I wouldn't qualify that as "super".

Uhm, I would.

But granted only in our corner of the world. If you put members from Spock's Beard, Dream Theater and the Dregs in a band I think that sticker would be appropriate.

What prog bands would consitute a super group only made up of prog for you?
Personal favourites that are not considered good by hardly anyone else shouldn't qualify over these admittedly famous acts.

Throw SyX in there and you've surely got some of the big ones.

Sure, you can probably construct another group or two, but no one's claiming this is the only one either, but I can't agree that the term doesn't fit here.

If you had a band of members from Redemption, Circus Maximus and Freak Kitchen I wouldn't call that a super group. I adore all bands but their stature is hardly comparable to the ones in the aforementioned constellation.

Uhm, I would.
As I said, I think this largely comes down to the individual's perspective.

But granted only in our corner of the world. If you put members from Spock's Beard, Dream Theater and the Dregs in a band I think that sticker would be appropriate.
Even in our little corner of the world, is this band super? Let's consider our world...

In the board's history, there hasn't been a single thread on the Dregs. Not one. There's been five threads on Spock's Beard, two of which no one even responded to. That's hardly star power. Even with Portnoy, he's a drummer. Granted, he's a special drummer and one who's managed to push himself to the forefront, but he's a drummer. And most super groups are reliant on the drummer for their name recognition.

What prog bands would consitute a super group only made up of prog for you?
Well, for starters, it would be constituted by musicians at the top of their game, whose collaboration actually generated excitement. Just look at this thread... most of the posts here are about the concept of the "super group", than posters signaling that they're eagerly anticipating this release. To my mind, this project is more of a niche within a niche, than a super group. But if you see it differently, that's cool. To each their own.

The day a progressive-death-power-thrashy metal band is started featuring Mike Eriksen, Mike Akerfeldt and Warrel Dane on vocals, Kiko Loureiro and Jeff Loomis on guitars, Flo Mounier on drums, Andreas Blomqvist on bass and Jordan Rudess on keyboards, I will call it a supergroup.
Jeez. That band would suck. And I'm the biggest Opeth and DT fan ever.

I also think we're stretching the definition of the word "super". Two guys from the Dixie Dregs, a guy from Spock's Beard, and the drummer from Dream Theater? Even within our little corner of the world, I wouldn't qualify that as "super".

All those guys are high quality musicians though, so in that case I would call it a supergroup. No, they aren't that popular but still.

All those guys are high quality musicians though, so in that case I would call it a supergroup. No, they aren't that popular but still.

That's not what a supergroup is though...the very premise behind the word 'supergroup' is that it's high-profile, not high quality musicians. Look at some of the supergroups that have gotten big. With that logic, just about any prog/power band would be a supergroup.

So in essence, you're saying that Symphony X, Kamelot, Angra, Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus, Opeth are all super groups???? That's the only assumption I can make according to your logic. Their members are all high quality musicians.

That's not what a supergroup is though...the very premise behind the word 'supergroup' is that it's high-profile, not high quality musicians. Look at some of the supergroups that have gotten big. With that logic, just about any prog/power band would be a supergroup.

As Zod said, it depends on perspective. That's how I look at it.

The fact that the word "Supergroup" was never mentioned in the original article would lend itself to this just being a group of highly regarded musicians getting together to make some music. Regardless I'm looking forward to hearing the finished product as all players involved generally put out high quality stuff.

So in essence, you're saying that Symphony X, Kamelot, Angra, Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus, Opeth are all super groups???? That's the only assumption I can make according to your logic.

Oy vey. No. How many members of those bands had any proven musical success before said band? And by proven musical success, I don't mean financially. Those are just, well, bands.

Oy vey. No. How many members of those bands had any proven musical success before said band? And by proven musical success, I don't mean financially. Those are just, well, bands.

Simon, re-read your own post:

nomisofsiman said:
All those guys are high quality musicians though, so in that case I would call it a supergroup. No, they aren't that popular but still

By that quote, you're basically implying that in order for you to consider something a super-group, all it takes is for high quality musicians. You never said anything about musicians having proven musical success before their bands.

Don't get frustrated, I was merely trying to understand your point, since you clearly didn't explain yourself better initially. Now that you have corrected yourself, I know what you consider a supergroup.

The fact that the word "Supergroup" was never mentioned in the original article would lend itself to this just being a group of highly regarded musicians getting together to make some music.

It also lends itself to the fact that yet another innocuous thread has been effectively mountained out of a relative mole-hill.

Comò? Wtf...

If we (acording to your previous post) were indeed talking about musical/technical proficiency, I would argue that Mats Haugen (git) of CM and Andreas Blomqvist (bass) of SW are both top 3 at their game in this genre. Add to that songwriting skills of Romeo and Youngblood and your argument falls flat.

Like has been stated many times so far, to each his own, and certainly different ways of looking at this but I am really just trying to understand your point of view.
What would be the key ingredient in the "super group" term according to you;
A) Commercial success
B) Musical skills
C) Both
D) None of the above (add your own)

My view is obvious even though it kinda hurts me to say so as that doesn't necessarily make for the best "super group". Really famous people from genre defining bands that hook up, that is a super group to me.

As awesome as an album with my two favourite singers Karevik/Eriksen would be, that would hardly gain the interest of Allen/Lande.
Probably Allen and Lande are somewhat better at what they do, but primarily the key to success there is their previously acquired fame.

Originally Posted by jem777az
The fact that the word "Supergroup" was never mentioned in the original article would lend itself to this just being a group of highly regarded musicians getting together to make some music.

It also lends itself to the fact that yet another innocuous thread has been effectively mountained out of a relative mole-hill.

YES

and YES

Don't really care. If it sounds like Transatlantic, it's going to be boring and unoriginal so I won't care, and if it doesn't sound like Transatlantic and tries to be something unique... eh who am I kidding, it's just gonna be another Transatlantic. Neal Morse has always been doing the same damn thing over and over again lately.