Mike Smith leaves Suffocation

Fully agree. Despise the Sun is easily my favorite Suffocation release. I think they'll be alright!

My fav also but i love everything else they have done, and i think Guy Marchais is killing it.

And the "bring back original member from the golden age" thing doesn't necessarily result in quality albums (see Fear Factory).

^^^ All true. I was really referring more to those records being amazing and the fact that they can survive w/o Mike Smith, so I feel ya...

And the "bring back original member from the golden age" thing doesn't necessarily result in quality albums (see Fear Factory).

2273711132_581cfb0477.jpg

Yeah gonna hafta go ahead and disagree with you on that. Mechanize is one of my favorite FF albums, not necessarily because of Dino being on it, either.

It's always a bummer when you hear news of an original member leaving a band but the fact that the drummer that played on Despise the Sun is replacing him doesn't make this news seem so bad at all. Also, I've seen Suffocation twice already with Mike Smith so I guess I'm fine with it because I didn't miss out in seeing him play.

Yeah, it's kinda wierd, you see all these kids who have bought Blood Oath becuse all of their favorite deathcore bands cite Suffo as an influence (I'm not berating for it them btw) and are like, "I can't even imagine Suffo without Mike!".

Yeah, it's kinda wierd, you see all these kids who have bought Blood Oath becuse all of their favorite deathcore bands cite Suffo as an influence (I'm not berating for it them btw) and are like, "I can't even imagine Suffo without Mike!".

Mike is a great drummer but the record's they did without mike where badass. as long as suffo has a good drummer that fit's their style then i don't really think they can put out a complete shit record.

http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/...ke-smith-talks-about-leaving-suffocation.html

SDM: Are you happy with your replacement in Suffocation being Dave Culross?

Mike: My position in Suffocation isn't as simple as mounting a drum throne. The position I held within the band as President, founder, manager, songwriter, spokesperson, and all else pertaining to the working business of the band can never be replaced. Anyone drumming for the group now is just enjoying a moment in time, on me.

SDM: Do you think the new drummer of Suffocation is going to have a difficult time getting down the material from Souls to Deny, Blood Oath, and the Suffocation self-titled release?

Mike: The new drummer won't have a hard time, because the hired guitarists can't play the songs, so he will have nothing to worry about. Whatever songs are played will be the same ones we've been playing for the last 1000 shows or so. Forcing the crew to learn and practice all the Suffo songs was a battle that later became not worth fighting for. You're only as strong as the weak links in a band.

Shit just got real.

"SDM: Will the Suffocation DVD still be coming out with you on it?

Mike: Absolutely. When it does eventually come to fruition there could be none other than the ones who were involved with getting the band to this point. Unless you were secretly involved with the trials, tribulations, travels, shows and experiences conquered to this point. There will be no unearned guest appearances."

"I don't do any special strength training exercises. I naturally always hit hard, I ride motocross, work with raw steel @ my day job and hold a productive anger that allows me to use any extra strength I may need productively."

haha such a badass :)

I was joking, duuh...the point is, he looks at the music as 'a product' which he want to sell to someone. A guy with mainstream mentality, not metal, and even less death metal. Shit, looks like some sort of death metal yuppie. I now can say that I am glad he's out of the band (not because of musical reasons, tho).

I was joking, duuh...the point is, he looks at the music as 'a product' which he want to sell to someone. A guy with mainstream mentality, not metal, and even less death metal. Shit, looks like some sort of death metal yuppie. I now can say that I am glad he's out of the band (not because of musical reasons, tho).

And if he feels that way, so be it, he created great 'product' in that case. There's no allegiance to having to be 'metal' he is himself and that's it dude

But that's exactly the very reason he left the band. That's the very reason they started to dumb down their songs, which is clearly audible on last couple of albums.
There's nothing wrong with someone being professional, but when you main goal is to get well known instead doing it for artistic reasons, then obviously something's wrong. when I said 'metal' I meant being honest. Not having bad production and playing for a couple of beers on purpose. Mike is in wrong profession it appears (again, not because of his lack of skill, because he's a sick and creative drummer, but because of his mentality).