Mike Terrana no longer in RAGE

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
From Blabbermouth:

German power metallers RAGE have parted ways with drummer Mike Terrana.

Commented vocalist/bassist Peter "Peavy" Wagner and guitarist Victor Smolski: "From now on, we won't continue our collaboration with Mike because of personal and musical differences that have been existing for a while now and became unbearable. This cut is definitely not easy for us — but to avoid damage to RAGE we have no other choice. Unfortunately, there's not much left from our former unity. A while ago comunication between Mike and us broke down completely, so we have to pull the emergency brake. We decided to work with a new drummer in the future because we don't want to ruin it all to a point where there's no future at all. We want to keep our power and joy in music, so there's no other way. We are aware how much this lineup meant to you (and us) but that's life. A band, especially a three-piece, is like a relationship. Over the years we just drifted apart. We wish Mike all the best for his further career. Nevertheless, there's a bright perspective in front of us: We definitely won't cancel a single show and are working intensely at the moment to present you a suitable new drummer soon. We have lots of plans for the next year, among others we'll play some exclusive orchestra shows for you. We hope you all keep the faith in the future and promise to keep up our quality level to 100%."

As previously reported, RAGE filmed its show in St. Petersburg, Russia earlier in the year in front of 15,000 fans for an upcoming live DVD, tentatively due on February 23, 2007 via Nuclear Blast. Entitled "Full Moon in St. Petersburg" (cover), the double DVD will contain the complete concert in St. Petersburg, Russia, plus a lot of behind-the-scenes footage and material from personal archives. More information is available at this location.

Mike's response:

After eight successful and great years together, drummer Mike Terrana has decided to leave German power metallers RAGE with immediate effect. In an official statement, Terrana says, "This was no easy decision, but I strongly believe it is about time for something new for me. I had a great time in RAGE and I don't want to miss to say 'thank you so much' to all the fans who followed us over the last years. Your never-ending support has meant a lot to me and I honestly hope we all will see each other again very soon. Also I wish the guys in RAGE good luck and success for their future."

Mike recently took over the drummer slot in MASTERPLAN, the band led by former HELLOWEEN guitarist Roland Grapow. The group will release its new album on February 23, to be followed by a huge European tour with SAXON and ROSE TATTOO. Mike will also play more shows with AXEL RUDI PELL this spring.

Awesome. Each version of Rage has lasted somewhere around 5-6 years, so it was almost past-due for the start of Rage v5.0. Too bad Smolski isn't leaving as well though. That means this new revision probably won't be as big of a re-making as the previous revisions have been, and after "Speak of the Dead", I think Peavy could use some shaking-up now more than ever.

For reference for those not familiar with the revision history of Rage:

v1.0: Prayers of Steel - Execution Guaranteed, w/ two guitarists
v2.0: Perfect Man - The Missing Link, w/ Manni
v3.0: Black in Mind - Ghosts, w/ two guitarists again
v4.0: Ghosts - Speak of the Dead, w/ Smolski

So yeah, if we're really following the pattern, it should be Smolski leaving and being replaced by two new guitarists. The drummer actually isn't due to change until v6.0.

Ooh ooh, maybe they'll do like the Melvins, and replace Terrana with *two* drummers!

Neil

I can't even begin to imagine why He'd leave Rage for Masterplan...

Maybe Mike wanted to continue playing music like Rage's Unity and Soundchaser instead of Speak Of The Dead type material.

Isn't the new Masterplan material supposed to go in a heavier direction? That could be your answer.

Of course, this is all just speculation.

On MT:

Great drummer, nice guy, and I thought he was a perfect fit for Rage.
He'll continue to do well wherever he goes. I really DON'T want to see Victor leave Rage, unless there was a Mind Odyssey reunion... :)

J-Dubya