Mike's favorite albums of 2007

Yeah, maybe you might wanna listen to "on the sunday of life," and then get back to me. That is assuming you know there are records before in absentia.

It's shocking to see people complain about retreading on an OPETH board. Lets be honest here.

Yeah, maybe you might wanna listen to "on the sunday of life," and then get back to me. That is assuming you know there are records before in absentia.

It's shocking to see people complain about retreading on an OPETH board. Lets be honest here.

I think it goes without saying that a lot of their early work is rather laughable. And I would agree that Opeth retreads as well, but Opeth are also adding new elements that I actually enjoy. I don't want it to sound like I don't like Porcupine Tree or that I think FOABP is bad, it's just not something i really go back to. I don't know how well metal fits in with them, certainly not with Wilson's vocals. To me his vocal prime was Stupid Dream - In Abentia. Though In Absentia was kind of the beginning of a heavier sound, he still came off vocally impressive to me on that album. On FOABP I find some of his singing to be embarrassing, not to mention the god awful lyrics.

Very logical - because I don't like PT's latest album (which is what, their eighth? I've lost count), I automatically hate everything they've done since their debut. Obviously, it's not possible at all for a band that's been around for so long to not put out perfect album after perfect album. I should immediately praise every single thing they release, just because it has the PT name. There is no way that IT IS JUST NOT INTERESTING FOR ME, and that I don't like a 15 + minute song that is made up of three parts repeated ad nauseum. This is of course assuming that I know that there are albums before In Absentia, of course... though actually I just thought it was an urban legend...

Give me a break.
Don't assume you know my music tastes off of the internet.

Very logical - because I don't like PT's latest album (which is what, their eighth? I've lost count), I automatically hate everything they've done since their debut. Obviously, it's not possible at all for a band that's been around for so long to not put out perfect album after perfect album. I should immediately praise every single thing they release, just because it has the PT name. There is no way that IT IS JUST NOT INTERESTING FOR ME, and that I don't like a 15 + minute song that is made up of three parts repeated ad nauseum. This is of course assuming that I know that there are albums before In Absentia, of course... though actually I just thought it was an urban legend...

Give me a break.
Don't assume you know my music tastes off of the internet.

wtf you talkin bout willis? :lol:

I wasn't even talking to you, but to the tubbs guy who said it was their weakest album, which I said he should listen to the debute if he thinks FoaBP is the weakest. In-fact I think everything up until signify, hell everything proceeding stupid dream is realistically weaker, but after that it just becomes a matter of opinion.

Hmm, was this about Bloodbath known??? Never heard of it ... is this their official new title for the new release? Can't find anything on their website about it.

I wasn't even talking to you, but to the tubbs guy who said it was their weakest album, which I said he should listen to the debute if he thinks FoaBP is the weakest. In-fact I think everything up until signify, hell everything proceeding stupid dream is realistically weaker, but after that it just becomes a matter of opinion.
I like OTSoL much better than this album, and it has much more of a psychedelic edge, so I really don't find it weaker at all.

I'm interested also in the "Bloodbath" Can;t seem to find anything on it's release though. Anyway, FOABP's first 3 songs are excellent. After that, imo, there's a marked dropoff. The last 3 songs just don't keep my attention. And the concept of some young kid being all fucked up in todays digital world. the lyric(paraphrasing) and it's" no fun to find out you can't blame your parents anymore." Something like that. It's whiny and too juvenile for my tastes.

Hmm, was this about Bloodbath known??? Never heard of it ... is this their official new title for the new release? Can't find anything on their website about it.

I think Mike is fucking with us..:lol:
But I'm still waiting for the mcd that they have recorded with the new lineup (and I doubt it would be called Unblessing Of The Purity):heh:

On another note lets just hope the next rx bandits cd is better than the battle has begun. That cd bored me to tears, and certainly very disappointing after a great cd like the resignation. Grey Matter gives me hope though.

I've been waiting for somebody on this forum to at least acknowledge that the rx bandits kick ass, so im glad to see anything about them... even if its negative. I actually really liked their new album. I wasnt sure at first, but it grew on me a lot.

I like OTSoL much better than this album, and it has much more of a psychedelic edge, so I really don't find it weaker at all.

You can't compare a cd thats almost like a rough demo to something as musically accomplished as FoaBP, and called it weaker. Weaker is not a word usually used in a subjective fashion. What you mean to say is it's your least fav pt release. :p

FoaBP may be musically accomplished, but that "accomplishment" was made when PT released IA. nothing new

You can't compare a cd thats almost like a rough demo to something as musically accomplished as FoaBP, and called it weaker. Weaker is not a word usually used in a subjective fashion. What you mean to say is it's your least fav pt release. :p
I wouldn't call FoaBP musically accomplished. It seems rehashed and unoriginal to me. In that sense, I find FoaBP to be a step back for the band, and therefore a very weak effort. It's not a horrible album, but I still find their debut much more interesting.

edit: I didn't notice a_s_u's post, which basically says the same thing.

I'd assume that if that's a real album and not Mike just throwing it in there to fuck with people, it'd be what the Bloodbath guys have been up to when they have the time after the Katatonia tours etc. Either a legit mixed album, or pre-prod tapes, or something. Not really sure why everyone's like "OMG WHERE TO FIND?!"...