9. Bottom Feeders
10. History Is Rotten

Label: Nuclear Blast Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.misery-index.com/
GRADE:
8/10

What do you do when you are in a band, the band splits into factions, with one member deciding to keep the name while the others start from scratch? Well, if you're the odd guys out in DYING FETUS, you form MISERY INDEX. Retaliate, the band's second outing, sees them signed to Nuclear Blast and pounding out a furious 31 minute platter full of grinding, blasting, pulverizing metal. It also sees the debut of ex-DYING FETUS, M.O.D., FEAR OF GOD guitarist Sparky Voyles and ex-SEVERED HEAD drummer Matt Byers, who coincidentally, just may be the band's secret weapon as the guy absolutely smokes!

The title track is a menacing slab of grind that never really lets up throughout. "The Lies That Bind" is a cut that definitely stood out at first listen, along with "The Great Depression," which immediately follows. Excellent tempo changes and ultra tight guitar runs set this band apart from a lot of their peers and these two songs are perfect examples of MISERY INDEX at the top of their game. What's really cool about this band is how they can keep it interesting at such constant breakneck speeds. Think of the best NAPALM DEATH or TERRORIZER songs with a dash of DYING FETUS, and you're in close range..

"Demand the Impossible" is another song that just grabs you by the balls and squeezes, tightly. There's such an "attack" presence on this one, which I'm sure will go over really well live. "Bottom Feeders" was made for the pit, I can see the massive sea of bodies, violently spinning into a whirlpool of flesh already. I really like the riffage of the last song, "History Is Rotten" (ed note: indeed it is). This just sounds like "beat the shit out of somebody" music!!

Not for the weak.

PJ