Mix comments, please! - Murdryck release debut Black Metal EP

inertia

Apr 25, 2014
Have just released our debut EP on Bandcamp.

This EP is a demo of what's to come on our upcoming album and I am trying to find where our sound lies in terms of mix. Originally, I wanted a very old school sound with a lot of reverb but I decided to make it less dense than originally anticipated.

This forum has been of great help to me in preparation for this album. So thanks everyone!

Are the drums programmed? Definitely sounds a lot like it when listening for the velocities and overall. Kick should be a tad louder, not audible enough at the moment.
Not digging the snare - sounds too sample-y for the context - but that's only my opinion. ;)

BTW - am I hearing some clipping, especially on "Metamorphosis" around 2:30 -> ?

Haha ..either the drums are programmed or they aren't ;) You tell me!

I don't have problems with clipping in the mix but the Kemper profile I use seems to have some artefacts that cause clipping. I haven't managed to figure out how to stop it since it makes no difference if i turned the volume down on the kemper or even the signal going to the Kemper. A friend said it might be my EMG pickups are too hot but there's nothing to trim.

Yes, the drums are programmed. We will have a drummer for the album. The drum velocities are actually quite varied in the MIDI track but obviously there's a load of processing going on. I am using a custom Slate Kit i built from the SSD4.

Thanks for checking out the mix.